Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

could someone show me in detail ( coolant tempreture sensor)

Old 10-17-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default been a few days now still no engine code !

so the po128 code does not require thermostat and housing replacement as prescribed by dealers. I had a feeing it was not a bad thermostat last 3 times. the jeep didnt act any different or loose heat or overheat. just triggered the engine light . And they got me to shell out a couple of hundred for something that realy only needed to be cleared to see if it came back on . Before replacing thermostats & housing for no good reason . They also charged 25 dollars for added coolant

if you want to fix something on your jeep correctly it seems it only gets done when you fix it yourself.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
This may help. It looks like you have to pull the left side inner fender liner to get to it on the 3.6.

This thread/diagram came in handy today. Throwing codes, bought and replaced sensor, no codes, all good.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Perhaps this information will help you understand what the computer is looking for:

P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY

Theory of Operation

The PCM predicts what the engine coolant temperature should be, based on the engine coolant temperature at start-up, ambient temperature and how the vehicle is subsequently driven. The predicted engine coolant temperature is compared to the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor reading. The error between the two is calculated and integrated with respect to time. When the Thermostat diagnostic runs, the integrated error is compared to a calibrated threshold and pass/fail is determined. Separate pass and fail thresholds are used in order to improve accuracy of the diagnostic.
  • When Monitored: With the engine running, ambient temperature between -8° C (17.6° F) and 50° C (122° F), start up coolant temperature less than 50° C (122° F), and average vehicle speed greater than 16 kph (10 mph) until coolant temperature reaches 85° C (185° F).
  • Set Condition: The PCM detects that the actual engine coolant temperature falls too far below the predicted engine coolant temperature and the predicted coolant temperature reaches the predicted target value before the actual coolant temperature reaches the actual coolant temperature target value. Two trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]LOW COOLANT LEVEL
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]THERMOSTAT OPERATION
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]TEMPERATURE SENSOR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K900), (G931) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

NOTE: If any ECT, AAT, CMP or CKP sensor DTCs have set along with P0128, diagnose them before continuing.

NOTE: Make sure that the Pinion Factor has been programmed correctly into the PCM.

NOTE: Diagnose any CAN - C Communication DTCs before continuing.

NOTE: If an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) DTC is set along with this code, diagnose the ECT DTC first.

NOTE: Inspect the ECT terminals and related PCM terminals. Make sure the terminals are free from corrosion and damage.

NOTE: The best way to diagnose this DTC is to allow the vehicle to sit overnight outside in order to have a totally cold soaked engine.

NOTE: Extremely cold outside ambient temperatures may have caused this DTC to set.

WARNING: Never open the cooling system when the engine is hot. The system is under pressure. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury including extreme burns, scalding, or death. Allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system.
Noticed several references in the image to short circuit. Had this code throw a day after installing a new battery. Wondering if somehow related.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Edit: zombie post reply.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

Default mine was the cooling temp sensor

changed out issue gone . no more clearing the code no more thermostats . not in a good location i might add lol
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Temp Sensor

Looks like I will have to try changing mine out as well then. Had the code show up again and reset it and it lasted a week until today (first cold day of the year) and it popped up again.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Default a hint !

on doing this. it can be done with out removing any plastic. fender parts just pull the plastic on drivers side out and prop it with a wood block . you can then access the sensor. Be ready for a loss of coolant though. have some to replenish 50/50 distilled . Just get it in and screw it on as its coming out. i wouldnt wait for it to stop
Old 10-27-2017, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
on doing this. it can be done with out removing any plastic. fender parts just pull the plastic on drivers side out and prop it with a wood block . you can then access the sensor. Be ready for a loss of coolant though. have some to replenish 50/50 distilled . Just get it in and screw it on as its coming out. i wouldnt wait for it to stop
Thanks for the tip! One question though, is there a torque/tightness called out on the sensor or just snug it up?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
Thanks for the tip! One question though, is there a torque/tightness called out on the sensor or just snug it up?
For the 2012 engine:

Apply sealant to the ECT sensor threads (a new replacement ECT sensor should have sealant already applied).

Install the ECT sensor into position.

Tighten to 8 ft. lbs. torque. Connect electrical connector.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-27-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: could someone show me in detail ( coolant tempreture sensor)