Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealer Pissed me off today

Old 12-30-2016, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Your JK may have came from the factory with that battery post clamp.
Yep, all I did was connect my winch wire, didn't change anything else. I don't know why the pic is sideways, it looked good on my computer before I uploaded it and of course I couldn't rotate it once it was inserted.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those three posters are the standard now. You've got to squeeze the clamp as you tighten the center bolt otherwise you'll run into not so funny electrical quirks. There have been quite a few people that have made that mistake.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fix it yourself and quit going to the Stealership. I have had more bad experiences with them AND I have lived in several states to warrant that claim.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 Rescue Green
Yep, all I did was connect my winch wire, didn't change anything else. I don't know why the pic is sideways, it looked good on my computer before I uploaded it and of course I couldn't rotate it once it was inserted.
I agree, you have a legit beef with that dealership. The clamp came with 3 attachment points from the factory, you attached to the available attachment point with the winch wire and one of the factory wires are split. They have no way to prove that the wire you attached caused the problem or not.

As mentioned, it's not a big deal to fix and there likely won't be a problem if you don't but I would no longer go to that dealership because they're not willing to put on their big boy pants and do what's right. Even if they were unsure if they would get reimbursed for the warranty repair work by FCA, they could have submitted the paperwork for a pre-authorization claim approval which tells me they are either incompetent or just too lazy to do it. By the sounds of it, they tried to pass that cost off on to you instead because it was the easier route for them to take.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by catahoula
Fix it yourself and quit going to the Stealership. I have had more bad experiences with them AND I have lived in several states to warrant that claim.
I'm currently going through a problem dealership with my wife's Jeep Renegade. I brought the vehicle in 3 times for the same 2 problems, the last time they kept it for 4 days. One of the problems they said they confirmed the problem, fixed it and confirmed the fix. I drove out the dealership and observed the problem before exiting their parking lot. I just stopped into the dealership to pick up some coolant for my JK yesterday and told the service rep I wasn't very happy with their service. I explained to him after 3 times of bringing it in for the same 2 problems, the only thing they accomplished was changing the oil and when I opened the hood of the vehicle I noticed there was oil spilled all over the top of the engine. They can't even do an oil change right and take proper care to clean up the mess they made. All the service rep did was make excuses and said, "Well you just need to bring it back in to give us a chance to follow up on it, so we can fix it." I guess 3 times wasn't enough for them and I must have nothing but extra time to waste of having to keep bringing the vehicle back into the dealership for the same problem.

Needless to say, I won't be back and I won't ever purchase another vehicle from that dealership.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they start talking crazy, I usually say it's about to get loud in here, my wife walks away with her head down, and magically they take care of my issues... lol. In all seriousness, I would probably told them off and went home and fixed it myself... freaking bunch of part changers... fortunately my dealership is mod friendly... they've even asked me to come in on a Saturday and pass forum decals while they're making hot dogs and hamburgers for their customers. Guess it's the luck of the draw when it comes to the people you work with...
Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
When they start talking crazy, I usually say it's about to get loud in here, my wife walks away with her head down, and magically they take care of my issues... lol. In all seriousness, I would probably told them off and went home and fixed it myself... freaking bunch of part changers... fortunately my dealership is mod friendly... they've even asked me to come in on a Saturday and pass forum decals while they're making hot dogs and hamburgers for their customers. Guess it's the luck of the draw when it comes to the people you work with...
Yep... it's definitely luck of the draw. I take my jeep to the dealership in St. Robert Missouri and they aren't worried about the L96 or the suspension or the other mods... heck.. they mostly want to talk about jeeps and how I did this or that and where's the best places to wheel out west and such... then I go to the dealership in Fayetteville NC with a buddy of mine and he has a puck lift.. they won't even entertain warranty work.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
In regards to the dealer, for warranty claims they get paid by FCA, so they would be happy to fix this for you under warranty.
Well.....They're really not that happy. FCA pays the dealership a fraction of what the retail hourly rate is. So the tech makes a LOT, and I mean a LOT less doing warranty work all day than paid-by-the-customer work.

In this case, it wasn't worth the $25 (exaggerated) these guys would have gotten from FCA to fix this, for something you should have just put some electrical tape on, so why bother.

For what it's worth: Google Manguson-Moss act.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Well.....They're really not that happy. FCA pays the dealership a fraction of what the retail hourly rate is. So the tech makes a LOT, and I mean a LOT less doing warranty work all day than paid-by-the-customer work.

In this case, it wasn't worth the $25 (exaggerated) these guys would have gotten from FCA to fix this, for something you should have just put some electrical tape on, so why bother.

For what it's worth: Google Manguson-Moss act.
I believe their FCA rate is $80/hr compared to the $190/hr customer rate. I guess it's hard to get good help at a minimum wage of $80 per hour, best try to go for the higher rate and stick it to the customer.

It's more about the principle. The OP didn't even notice it, until it was pointed out by the dealership. The 1st thing the dealership wanted to do was get the OP to pay for the service which should have been covered under warranty. Then the dealerships wonder why people rather go to outside service stations for service/repair. If they're that incompetent that they don't know the difference between OEM wiring and aftermarket wiring, then they don't deserve to call themselves a licensed FCA service center.

The warranty service is also about establishing a trusted relationship with the customer and the service department. They bring their car in and everything gets taken care of in an efficient manner for warranty service, then isn't the customer likely to return to the dealership for service after the warranty has expired? And if that trusted relationship isn't established during warranty repair, do you really think the customer is even going to consider spending their own hard earned money when their vehicle isn't under warranty?

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-30-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Pissed me off today