Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Death Wobble and front upper control arms?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recheck the ball joints, and if need be then change the bushings. When you checked the ball joints was the jeep on jack stands under the frame and a floor jack under the front diff? This way the tires are just up enough that you could pry them up with either a 2x4, shovel, or giant prybar and listen for the clanking noise you will also be able to see the play. Planman's video part 2 shows it at 10:40 into the video. http://youtu.be/ii81V7XYr-k
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did just that. Upper and lower ball joints are tight.

After having looked at another newer jeep yesterday afternoon (newer less worn components) I am personally starting to suspect the tie rod ends as being a bit worn. I know I said in my earlier post "no discernible movement...", and it may be within tolerances, but just how much up down movement is acceptable in the tie rod ends? I used a larger channel locks on the tie rod ends this time and seem to get a bit more play up and down in each end. Each side has the same amount of play. Not much, perhaps a 1/8" inch or so.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JKU Death Wobble fixed

I had a wobble similar to what was described above. Could not find anything wrong, but read that the JK ball joints were a known weak spot. I changed the ball joints to a type that can be greased and my wobble is now a stranger to my Jeep.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Also

drop the track bar see if the hole is wallowed out . Some times the bar itself flexes a bit too . Track bars are a big problem with dw

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My two videos are sort of an abbreviation of my written inspection checklist.

In my written list, I suggest that you remove the control arms one at a time to inspect bushings and bracket holes.

Worn or lose upper control arm bushings will definitely cause problems.

One guy I helped to diagnose problems had ovaled upper frame side control arm bracket holes. His caster spec was all over the place because of this, and it contributed to severe wobbles.

Last edited by planman; 04-15-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble and front upper control arms?