Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ding in my brand new Sahara!

Old 06-25-2015, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ding in my brand new Sahara!

So about a week and a half after picking up my 2015 Sahara 2-door, I noticed a ding in the side, above the drivers side wheel.

The Jeep had been garaged, and I only took it out a few times for fun rides (it only had 300 miles on it when I noticed it). There was no mark in the paint, and based on where it is, it isn't like a shopping cart or door caused it.

So, I think it might have been there when new. The thing is, it's hard to see, except for when the light hits it just right. I took the attached photo, and you can sort of see it in how the light is refracted in the reflection. If it was damaged from the dealer, I certainly didn't notice it when doing the walk around - it's really that subtle.

I'm wondering what I should do... I assume if I go to the dealer they'll just tell me they aren't liable because there's no way to prove it was like that when I took ownership of the vehicle.

Is this something one of those dent repair places could make go away? Or is a dent this subtle just not fixable without replacing parts? If I could get it fixed for relatively cheap (a few hundred) I'd probably just do it, because now that I know it's there it's driving me crazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	615953
Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks for sure. The first ding is always the most painful.

Unless you have a great relationship with your dealer I would be very surprised if they did anything. Once you sign off and unless the "we owe" form said there was a dent you're on your own.

There are paint-less dent removal companies out there. Might give them a shot?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had something similar on both sides of my JK after getting it back from line-x. I used a suction cup from a GPS windshield mount and was able to pull it almost completely out. Within a couple of months of that, it was completely gone so I think the sun heating the panels finished it off for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm.

Maybe I'll try one of the paint-less ding people.

This was the first time I've been to this dealership, so I don't have much leverage (well, none).
Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talk to the dealer. I had one once. Dealer gave me the guy he used number. I met him at the dealer on his next visit I could make. He charged me like $50 bucks.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0751
Hmm.

Maybe I'll try one of the paint-less ding people.

This was the first time I've been to this dealership, so I don't have much leverage (well, none).

For some reason the pic won't load for me but from what you describe paintless repair would be a good option. The bodyshop i work at use them regularly. Should cost roughly 80-100 but well worth it
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just call it character. Now you can feel okay when you bounce it off a rock.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hairdryer and a can of compressed air. Look on YouTube for it.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got one on both sides in the same spot. No clue how they got there. After a couple trips off road you'll have pin stripes and scuffs. Wouldn't worry too much!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do not know if it works or not, but I read on Yahoo one time that dry ice will take out dents. I googled "how to remove dents with dry ice" and there were a lot of responses. Here is just one.

How to Fix a car dent with dry ice « Auto Maintenance & Repairs

Quick Reply: Ding in my brand new Sahara!