Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

drag link movement

Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag link movement

how easily should the drag link move when I try to move it with hand? smoothly or take a little effort
Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If you are talking about a twisting motion, it doesn't really matter.
There should be no vertical movement in the joint when pushed up and down by hand.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

ok thanks. have a thud in the front end once in a while when I hit a bump and was wonder if the drag link was twisted to easily.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default check your upper shock bolts

the nut not being tight up top can cause thud

tightened and thud went away
Old 07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

oh ok thanks I'll check those.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

My drag link also clunks when its twisted. I also hear a thud/clunking in the front end when going over certain bumps. There are a few of these bumps that I hit on a daily basis so it has become very annoying. I took it to the dealership and they said it was normal. I say bad design....
Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Mine moved very easy before I changed all the front end parts. My 2012 has 32,000 miles, and everything was shot. Plastic Ball joints were gone, and drag link was shot also. Check the ball joints with a bar and a jack. Any up and down play means the are shot. I check the drag link, and tie rod ends with the Jeep on the ground and have someone move the steering wheel from side to side. The should be no movement in any of the rod ends in and out. My tie rods were still OK, but I replaced everything at one shot. I did install the metal ball joints, and everything else. Now the are normal, and have to be greased just like the real one that used to come stock. It really did tighten up the front end. It did take a little while to break in. Handling is much better now.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Your drag link should rotate up & down, but not wiggle left and right. If you over torque it you'll wear the bushings out prematurely or worse.

Quick Reply: drag link movement