Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

drag link, vertical play?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drag link, vertical play?

Here's a video, don't know if you guys can see it. My passenger side draglink tie rod end is moving vertically. My fear the knocking sound was my ball joints but I wiggled the tire by hand up on jacks. I couldn't pin point it so I recorded it.

What d you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMJzXjZC_Lg&list=UUzOrAZzcLBGraXuysGMw-OQ
Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really tell by the video, but you should try getting a friend to shake the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off, and feel the joint and you should be able to tell if it's loose or not
Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Yea. The upload is harder to tell. You have to zoom in. But on my phone there is definitely up and down on that drag link.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

time for a new one I'd say then!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock link ends do have vertical movement. If you take large channel locks you can compress them and see the movement. Side to side movement is not good. check the torque on all the arms and track bar they will knock if not tight.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by twoxstreem
The stock link ends do have vertical movement. If you take large channel locks you can compress them and see the movement. Side to side movement is not good. check the torque on all the arms and track bar they will knock if not tight.
Yea i took huge pliers to the link ends. All of them have vertical play. Draglink end opposite of pitman arm has the most

Quick Reply: drag link, vertical play?