Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drivers door rattle

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door rattle

For some time I had a rattle that I thought was coming from the dash between the driver's side door and the steering wheel, but have since decided it was coming from driver's side door. I took the mirror off the door and there is what looks like a bracket (for a lack of a better word) inside the door housing that can be seen from the mirror holes. The bracket was loose and jiggled around on the driver's side. I then took the passengers side mirror off and the same bracket was tight and would not move. So I think that loose bracket was causing the rattle. I just wedged up a zip tie end and it seemed to keep the bracket from moving. Haven't been out for a test spin yet.

Just wondered if this is a common occurrence? I thought that maybe the constantly slamming of the door might cause this to break free.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

I also have a small rattle on my driver side door, only when I hit a bump. I'll have to take the mirror off and check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

A little electrical tape on the latch and you're done.. That's a weird noise it seems to come from everywhere lol but the tape stops it.. I had it too
Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Explain!

Dead money, could u explain a little more how u fixed the problem with the ziptie? I'm having the exact same problem that the tape on the door latch does not fix! Huge steelers fan here as well!👍
Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Annoying door rattle

I had a clunking sound from both doors from when my '08 X was new. I read some forums and it seemed to be a common problem - I called the dealer about it and they said bring it in, they would fix it. So I left the vehicle for them and when I picked it up, when I touched the door handle, I had thick black grease all over my hand; evidently they just shot the whole door handle and latch full of grease. Well, it didn't fix the problem. I talked them into ordering new door latches, driver and passenger (both doors made the noise) and they installed them. The driver's door STILL makes clunking sounds from the door latch every time I hit a small bump. It's annoying as hell but I guess with these Heeps you just need to get used to the rattles, clunks, squeaks and groans. Cheaply made.

UPDATE: I read some threads on here that mentioned wrapping tape around the latch. I did. The noise stopped, momentarily until the tape got shredded enough to be useless, which wasn't long. I have owned tons of vehicles and this is just unacceptable. So cheaply built.

Last edited by srino; 06-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivers door rattle