Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattling sound when A/C is running. Anyone Know?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling sound when A/C is running. Anyone Know?

I've got a new noise this summer, which has never happened before. When I turn on the a/c, something starts rattling underneath the Jeep. It sounds pretty bad, but it doesn't really affect the performance of the Jeep at all. It just sounds like something isn't right under there. I put my head down there but wasn't able to locate it. It sounds like it's coming from right beneath the front seats when sitting in the Jeep, but it's probably coming from the engine bay. I didn't spend a lot of time searching for it because I wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues. Didn't come up with much on the forum. FYI I also have a p.o.s. spark-knocking, oil-burning 3.8, but this noise is only evident at idle.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If turning on the A/C makes the engine vibrate a little more, you could be hearing a rattling piece of heat shield.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's true, but it isn't that tinny kind of sound that a heat shield makes. It sounds more internal.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hate that heat shield
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM24
That's true, but it isn't that tinny kind of sound that a heat shield makes. It sounds more internal.
You are in the best position to troubleshoot it, then. There's no way the degree of rattle can be determined over the internet.

Most times, a rattle underneath has been caused by one of the many heat shields.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You are in the best position to troubleshoot it, then. There's no way the degree of rattle can be determined over the internet.
Yeah I know. I was just hoping that it would be a somewhat common problem that would be immediately identified by the forum. It's always my first, and often the only necessary step of troubleshooting!

Quick Reply: Rattling sound when A/C is running. Anyone Know?