Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dry start knocking noise?

Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this has nothing to do with what oil you are you using. You could fill your engine with molasses and it would make no difference (as far as the noise is concerned). I have studied this problem and from what i have gathered this is a problem with the filter anti-drain back valve being insufficient. Because the fliter is mounted horizontally it tends to drain thus on start up you get a bang; hiss; or chatter noise when it refills. Some brands just do a better job with the anti drain valve then others. It seems that the MOPAR filter is the most consistent with holding its oil. Other people have reported that Purolator Pure One filters also work well in holding the oil in. WIX also makes a good filter that i hear works on the horizontal. I have heard of people having the dry start problem with Mobil 1 (same as K&N); BOSCH; FRAM (all models); and others. Just because it costs 3X more does not mean that it is better.

There are only a few companies that actually make filters. Purolator; Honeywell; Champion; and WIX

You could relocate your oil filter easily so it is mounted in the upright position but this would be a waste of time because there are filters out there that work just fine.

check out the paper end caps hahaha. but still a very cool video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk

Last edited by bowerss2; 05-28-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

I purchased my JK new is 07. From day one I change my own oil every 3K and use Valvoline 5/20 and a mopar filter that I purchase from the dealer.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bowerss2
this has nothing to do with what oil you are you using. You could fill your engine with molasses and it would make no difference (as far as the noise is concerned). I have studied this problem and from what i have gathered this is a problem with the filter anti-drain back valve being insufficient. Because the fliter is mounted horizontally it tends to drain thus on start up you get a bang; hiss; or chatter noise when it refills. Some brands just do a better job with the anti drain valve then others. It seems that the MOPAR filter is the most consistent with holding its oil. Other people have reported that Purolator Pure One filters also work well in holding the oil in. WIX also makes a good filter that i hear works on the horizontal. I have heard of people having the dry start problem with Mobil 1 (same as K&N); BOSCH; FRAM (all models); and others. Just because it costs 3X more does not mean that it is better.

There are only a few companies that actually make filters. Purolator; Honeywell; Champion; and WIX

You could relocate your oil filter easily so it is mounted in the upright position but this would be a waste of time because there are filters out there that work just fine.

check out the paper end caps hahaha. but still a very cool video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk
Hello to all:

I am no expert by far, but I will agree with you on your opinion about the drain back valve. I use Mobil -5000 5W-20 non sysnthetic with the Mopar Oil Filter. The Mopar filter I recently put in, seems to be worse than ever. Recently startying to have this issue if my Jeep is not used in 2 days, It usually only happened every 2 weeks if that.

Do those that have this issue also get the real quick dummy oil light on the dash as well? Blinks so fast, my Scan Tool does not even have a chance to read the code, I have 2 scan tools, both read no codes found.

Dry starts are not good, Can those members on here that switched to a different oil filter other than Mopar, give their actual Part # ? Many thanks in advance

It should not matter if a owner of a Jeep like myself who changes their oil every 3,000 miles or 6 months the oil being synthteic or regular oil, it would be a waste of money in my opinion. I thought syntethic oil was for those who want to go longer on thgeir oil changes or carry heavy loads , etc. Maybe I am missing something....lol

P.S. I also know that Chrysler had to change over to different parts manf's for their parts , due to when the big 3 were going under their hard times, Chrysler left many parts vendors hanging , and now certain parts are just not the same quality with Mopar,,, IE Their Batteries and now it seems to be their filters.

Thanks for any input.

SLIM
Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Hello to all:

I am no expert by far, but I will agree with you on your opinion about the drain back valve. I use Mobil -5000 5W-20 non sysnthetic with the Mopar Oil Filter. The Mopar filter I recently put in, seems to be worse than ever. Recently startying to have this issue if my Jeep is not used in 2 days, It usually only happened every 2 weeks if that.

Do those that have this issue also get the real quick dummy oil light on the dash as well? Blinks so fast, my Scan Tool does not even have a chance to read the code, I have 2 scan tools, both read no codes found.

Dry starts are not good, Can those members on here that switched to a different oil filter other than Mopar, give their actual Part # ? Many thanks in advance

It should not matter if a owner of a Jeep like myself who changes their oil every 3,000 miles or 6 months the oil being synthteic or regular oil, it would be a waste of money in my opinion. I thought syntethic oil was for those who want to go longer on thgeir oil changes or carry heavy loads , etc. Maybe I am missing something....lol

P.S. I also know that Chrysler had to change over to different parts manf's for their parts , due to when the big 3 were going under their hard times, Chrysler left many parts vendors hanging , and now certain parts are just not the same quality with Mopar,,, IE Their Batteries and now it seems to be their filters.

Thanks for any input.

SLIM
I use the napa gold filter and instantly no more knock!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4wheelnD
I use the napa gold filter and instantly no more knock!!
Thanks for the input,, Is there a specific part #? I wonder who makes it, I know Napa throws their name on a lot of stuff, but will say their products they sell are decent.

SLIM
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Thanks for the input,, Is there a specific part #? I wonder who makes it, I know Napa throws their name on a lot of stuff, but will say their products they sell are decent.

SLIM
I will find out for you. Part # FIL 1348. Heres a link to it. napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=FIL1348_0274109723&An=599 001+102009+50038+2038036[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-28-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: no clicky
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4wheelnD
I will find out for you. Part # FIL 1348. Heres a link to it. .napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=FIL1348_0274109723&An=599 001+102009+50038+2038036[/url]
Thanks , much appreciated.

SLIM

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Yep this is 90 percent drainback valve and 10 percent oil weight issue. The best anti-drain are Amsoil (Donaldson) and Napa Gold (Wix Filters). Add a 0w oil and you will NOT , I repeat WILL NOT have a dry Valvetrain problem unless you have some serious engine issues.

My 2011 did this when I bought it with 6 miles on it. Switched filter and oil to brands listed above an I have no issues. Same with my 4 cylinder ranger.

Get a good filter.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

lucas oil additive its as thick as honey, add 1/2 quart to every oil change.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just changed my oil and used a bosch oil filter, I can now here a tap for the first sec or two on a cold start. Probably going to change my filter to the Napa gold to see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: Dry start knocking noise?