Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine issue

Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issue

My Jeep has been deadlines the last few weeks. I'm not sure what the problem is, I do think that I am not getting enough power to my starter. I took a very short vid of the engine trying to turn over but not succeeding. However, I do not think that I can post vids here so that's out the window. I have replaced the starter, the battery is good, I've gone as far as hooking up my other car to help jump it but still the same thing. Any help is welcome.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your ground cable?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

does the starter need shims
Old 12-02-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Got your PM but it would really help to hear the engine. Let's get a few more details. Is it actually turning over just not starting? Is it an automatic or manual? Have you tried unhooking the battery and touching the terminals, to reset computer? Are you sure your plugs are getting sparks?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Starter does not require shims.

Have we checked all fuses under the hood to ensure the computer isn't shutting things down? Post your video to YouTube and link it here, let's get this thing running.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 AM
JK Freak

Honestly I really think it's a bad ground coming from the starter. Especially since you can't jump it with another car. Had this happen on my old explorer. Struggled for days until I replaced the ground coming from starter. It had breaks in the cables inside the covers so it was not visible from the naked eye.

Here is the link he sent me. Anyone else have an idea?

https://youtu.be/HTq1qYt29fk
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry all for some reason I can not post from my cell phone. Here is the link to the youtube vid of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTq1qYt29fk
Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

heard the video
can you jump start it
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had this type of start attempt fails several times in the past....just this past weekend. Assuming you have an auto, bump your gear selector in the cabin and then try starting. It works for me. The ground connection with your PRNDL unit (in the trans) could be weak.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Recently I had the same issue. My problem was the power cable going to the fuse box! I changed the cable and had to make my own connector to put it back on the box but now it works great! I haven't seen your video, but it could be something to check out. You can wiggle the power cable while the key is in the ignition, if you hear your throttle reset, then that's definitely problem. Also the jeep was throwing high voltage when autozone checked the battery on the jeep, which made me think it was the voltage regulator. Thankfully it was a cheap and easy fix

Quick Reply: Engine issue