Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Esp,bag, and traction control light on after going in to ditch full of snow.please he

Old 12-20-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp,bag, and traction control light on after going in to ditch full of snow.please he

Went into a ditch of about 2 feet of snow going 25 mph pulled out and those 3 lights on my dash were on

Last edited by bobby4punk; 12-20-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask for help
Old 12-20-2016, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad clock spring to me. Is the Jeep still driving straight?
Old 12-20-2016, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the wiring going to the ABS/Wheel speed sensors.

If the airbag light's on as well though, I'd be getting it in to a dealer, I wouldn't want to be running around with disabled airbags.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kfast24
Sounds like a bad clock spring to me. Is the Jeep still driving straight?
Yes it is still driving normal
Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by desync0
Check the wiring going to the ABS/Wheel speed sensors.

If the airbag light's on as well though, I'd be getting it in to a dealer, I wouldn't want to be running around with disabled airbags.
Ok.. that's probably what I will end up doing. I am mechanically inclined but when it comes to electrical it muss well be in chinese. BTW I checked and didn't see any blatantly lose wires
Old 12-24-2016, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hit a pothole really hard one time and all those came on. Turned off/ back on and went away. Should I be worried about my airbags?
Old 12-25-2016, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

As mentioned, if the Air Bag light comes on that is typically a steering wheel clock spring related problem. An ABS light and a traction control light instead, that typically points to a wheel speed sensor problem. The clock spring is a known JK problem. Others have reported that it can be triggered by turning the steering wheel hard right or left. I'm guessing that may have been the OP's situation when going into the ditch. If it hasn't come back on, then there's no worry aside from giving you an indication that a clock spring repair may likely be on your horizon.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-29-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had that problem and it was the speed sensor. Easy fix, replaced them all and kept the 3 that weren't damaged (the codes told me precisely which one it was, guy at AutoZone was surprised I called it before he tested it but I told him I only wanted to know if it said which one it was and it did). Granted, it may be something else. Enjoy finding out what.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

my Silverado did the same after a trip into the snow bank. it was a wheel speed sensor. Don't know about jeeps but on a chev you have to change the whole wheel bearing as the sensor is integral with the bearing.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
my Silverado did the same after a trip into the snow bank. it was a wheel speed sensor. Don't know about jeeps but on a chev you have to change the whole wheel bearing as the sensor is integral with the bearing.
Speed sensors in the Jeep are plug and play (they are held in place by a bolt and you merely unplug the old and plug in the new). There are even great YouTubes to see what you're up against. One thing about the Jeep is it is pretty user friendly. I have forgotten how more challenging other vehicles can be to work on.

Quick Reply: Esp,bag, and traction control light on after going in to ditch full of snow.please he