Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ESP Engaging around corners when dry out

Old 11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Engaging around corners when dry out

I have an 08 JKU X, only mods are rubi shocks, springs, synergy drag link, synergy ball joints and a new steering gear box. Everything worked fine with these parts. I purchased a set of bfg mts factory size 255/75 R17 and had them installed with an alignment at the same time. After the tires were install and an alignment my jku would have the esp engage going around corners and the jeep loose speed and applies the brakes. After reading post in the search on the forum here I found it could be my ABS Speed Sensors. I replaced both front sensors and made sure my steering wheel is centered. I also took the jeep back to the shop to have the alignment double checked. None of this fixed the issue. Any ideas what to do next to correct this?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First I would inspect the sensor wiring. If that's all good then rear speed sensors? If you still have the old front sensors, which obviously were not bad, I would install them in the rear.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklock
I have an 08 JKU X, only mods are rubi shocks, springs, synergy drag link, synergy ball joints and a new steering gear box. Everything worked fine with these parts. I purchased a set of bfg mts factory size 255/75 R17 and had them installed with an alignment at the same time. After the tires were install and an alignment my jku would have the esp engage going around corners and the jeep loose speed and applies the brakes. After reading post in the search on the forum here I found it could be my ABS Speed Sensors. I replaced both front sensors and made sure my steering wheel is centered. I also took the jeep back to the shop to have the alignment double checked. None of this fixed the issue. Any ideas what to do next to correct this?
How far off center is your steering wheel?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He said the steering wheel was centered.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
He said the steering wheel was centered.
Thanks for catching that. I read right past that. It was my first inclination but now I wonder what the tire diameter difference might be between the old and new tires. I'm thinking that the Jeep is sensing an inconsistent change in rotation speed at the wheels. Not resetting the tire diameter might send enough bad info to the computer to cause the ESP to sense/believe that there is a "problem". If the OP was running P225/75R16's at 29.3" and switched to LT255/75R17's at 32" in diameter the computer is definitely sensing a disconnect between perceived wheel speed and actual speed.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the stock goodyear wranglers 255/75R17 and put on new bfg mt 255/75R17. I dont have the old abs speed sensors anymore. How do you recalibrate the TPMS? Could that be the issue?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

you may also want to check out your wheel bearings. once they get loose the sensor isn't always in line with the tone ring, or wherever the part the sensor sees is at. so when you go around a corner the side force kinda pushes things so that the sensor can't pick up position and it thinks you're sliding or maybe just gets confused.

Sorry hope that makes sense. Mine would do that around some corners here and there when turning away from the bad wheel, as in turning left set it off and my right side was bad, but has not again since wheel bearing replacement. I'm pretty sure it was the bearing, because I had replaced sensor twice prior to bearing (blew them out in too much snow and mud) and that never stopped the cornering setting it off. And as a bonus, if you have a loose bearing and didn't know it, you will be quite happy with how your Jeep drives after replacement, haha.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the stock goodyear wranglers 255/75R17 and put on new bfg mt 255/75R17. I dont have the old abs speed sensors anymore. How do you recalibrate the TPMS? Could that be the issue?

to recalibrate the TPMS would need a Procal or Flashcal, etc. Not a related system though, and whie I'm no pro i am pretty damn sure that has nothing to do with it.

PS i love your avi!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Between a P Metric and an LT in the same size the difference should be negligible and not the problem. Since you only said, "Wrangler X" I thought it might be the small stock size which would have created a big enough difference.

Quick Reply: ESP Engaging around corners when dry out