Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

exhaust manifold gasket problems....

Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust manifold gasket problems....

i recently replaced the gasket on my 2013 jeep jk. it was a pain in the butt however i got it done. I noticed about a week ago it sounded like the exhaust leak was coming back. I decided i must not have gotten the bolts tight enough, so what did i do? i used an impact to tighten them. dont know what i was thinking looking back on it. anyways, so as i was tightening them with an impact i noticed the bolts just kept spinning. basically Ive bored out the holes in the engine block where the gasket attaches to the engine. i realize this is a horrible mistake but im a young jeeper and dont have much experience repairing things mechanically. My questions is, what can i do to fix it? im guessing i can take a tap and make new threads on the inside of the block and get bigger bolts to fit in there. If anyone with experience can offer some advice on if i can do this to fix or other suggestions to fix it that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Google "helicoil", they work well -- Wire Thread Inserts | Screw Thread Inserts | Stanley Engineered Fastening
and also https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD1

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-08-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man. appreciate it

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold gasket problems....