Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Exhaust, what is this?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust, what is this?

#4 what is it and what's it's purpose and how important is it? All the diagram says is pipe extension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1168547713.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	626872
Old 10-10-2015, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It looks like the piece that goes over top of the axle, so...fairly important if you want to do a rear exhaust.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It looks like the piece that goes over top of the axle, so...fairly important if you want to do a rear exhaust.
I'm talking about the piece that looks like a small muffler

But thanks for the sarcasm
Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Resonator, not "needed" but may make the exhaust sound ricer-ish
Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woody651
Resonator, not "needed" but may make the exhaust sound ricer-ish
Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It wasn't sarcasm, cool your jets hotshot. If the diagram wasn't as clear as you'd like then you could have described it a little better.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It wasn't sarcasm, cool your jets hotshot. If the diagram wasn't as clear as you'd like then you could have described it a little better.
Easy Cowboy, figured you thought I was that guy the village was missing
Old 11-12-2020, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to Hijack this dead thread. Does anyone know if this exhaust extension pipe from above for the 3.6 with work on the 3.8? I got a dual exhaust on my 3.8 and its unbearably loud with the doors off. The existing extension pipe is also leaking at the rear hanger. I'm considering just buying the extension pipe from the 3.6 as it looks like its virtually the same, except with the added resonator. Any help is appreciated with regards to fitment advice or potential issues, thank you!

Last edited by murdoc319; 11-12-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Do you have a little mom and pop type muffler shop around you? A lot of times simple work like that is dirt cheap, $40-50, and doesn't involve you having to buy or monkey around with an install. Just a thought.

Last edited by resharp001; 11-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Do you have a little mom and pop type muffler shot around you? A lot of times simple work like that is dirt cheap, $40-50, and doesn't involve you having to buy or money around with an install. Just a thought.
You've exposed me now, I'll have to confess more details. When I first hung the muffler and it was droning, I saw some other posts with the same issues i was having that claimed a small glasspack worked wonders. i took a look at the extension / mid-pipe and saw a relatively straight section in front of the rear axle - ironically right where the resonator is on the 3.6's mid pipe. I bought a 12" glasspack, cut the mid pipe and thought I could stretch the front of the glass pack to slip over the front of the mid pipe and the front of the rear of the midpipe to slip on the rear of the glasspack. The front of the glasspack stretched ok but I found out ya can't stretch stainless steel exhaust pipe with hand tools, if at all.

I took the rear part of the mid pipe out and brought it, with glasspack, to a small muffler shop that we do have and asked them to stretch the stainless mid pipe over the back of the glasspack to create the slip joint. The guy didn't laugh at me, but i think he was trying hard to hold it back. After he told me it would break, they agreed to stretch the glasspack over the rear of the midpipe and weld it for $20. I happily brought home my piece of art and installed it. The clamps I got sucked and leaked. I cut some relief cuts on the glasspack, better clamps, leaks almost gone. Put some ultra copper on it, one small leak remained. While checking for leaks i also noticed the leak at the rear hanger that I noted earlier.

Doors and top on, the exhaust doesnt sound bad, a little louder than fun but bearable and the drone isnt bad. Doors and top off, the drone is terrible, stereo's gotta be up to 24 out of 38 just to hear the words. I am now wondering do I A) Reseal with ultra copper on the glasspack to see if it gets better, maybe JB weld the hanger spot. B) Take it down to the muffler shop and see if they can't weld the front of the glasspack on and if theres enough material to clean and weld around the hanger. C) Buy a new midpipe (crinkle bent is cheap, mandrel bent is pricey) and have mom and pop shop weld another muffler / resonator on or D) Buy the 3.6l's mid pipe that already has a large resonator at the same spot that I would have one welded onto a 3.8 midpipe.

Preserving my current midpipe doesnt seem worth is if it is too rusted out to weld around the hanger. It may also be a pain to cut off the glasspack, weld in a bent section to line up the pipe, weld in a muffler, and then find out the hangers arent lined up real well between the front and back of the midpipe and the muffler doesn't hang right. FWIW the muffler's position is affected by the midpipe's orientation over the rear axle significantly.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Feel free to laugh at me; I am glad this is now preserved for posterity or some other poor SOB that gets the same ideas I had

Last edited by murdoc319; 11-12-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust, what is this?