Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Factory Heated Seats

Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Heated Seats

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with factory heated seats (cloth). My jeep has recently been in service to replace a heater core. The whole dash had to come out and its been a nightmare (not putting it back together correctly) this week with regards to that. Anyway I have the Jeep back, but I'm pretty sure the heated seats don't work. The light on the switch comes on, but I don't feel any heat.

I took it back today and they said its warming up using a thermal hand tool and that they really don't get that hot. It really didn't show much warmth though. I have my own that I will use this weekend. I know from the past this really warmed up good almost to the point of being too hot.

Couple of troubleshooting questions.
- Is there a relay that you hear when they are switched on? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing this before, but now I don't.
- I don't really suspect a faulty part, but instead a bad connection (or totally missed connection). What connections should I try? I've tried the connection behind the switches, and the main module near the radio. I've looked under the seats and everything looks fine, but it was a quick glance so I'll look some more tomorrow. I'm guessing there are more connectors to try out though. I figured there might be something else is behind the dash.

I really wish I had a wiring diagram or layout of all the connections. Another option would be a current probe to actually see how much current its drawing. I might be able to borrow a current probe from work if I know which wire under the seat to measure.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no clue, but have heated seats. I can let them warm up and take temp with a thermal laser if you'd like.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I have no clue, but have heated seats. I can let them warm up and take temp with a thermal laser if you'd like.
That would be great! Also let me know if you hear any relays triggering. I'm trying to figure out if a relay is part of the factory heated seats.

I'm doing more reading, and I think I had the dreaded casted sand in the coolant. It has just under 60k miles, so I would've figured it would've happened sooner. They did have to replace the water pump around 20k so maybe that flushed it enough to push this issue to 60k. Still reading up on the issue. I get good heat now, but I have a feeling that things aren't put back correctly. When I first left the Jeep dealer Wed the clutch wire came off as I was pulling into a heavily trafficked intersection (big safety risk), air bag light was on, and the heat in the front vent still didn't work. They towed me back and have since fixed those issues without much of an apology. Now I think the heated seats aren't working right.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhite
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with factory heated seats (cloth). My jeep has recently been in service to replace a heater core. The whole dash had to come out and its been a nightmare (not putting it back together correctly) this week with regards to that. Anyway I have the Jeep back, but I'm pretty sure the heated seats don't work. The light on the switch comes on, but I don't feel any heat. I took it back today and they said its warming up using a thermal hand tool and that they really don't get that hot. It really didn't show much warmth though. I have my own that I will use this weekend. I know from the past this really warmed up good almost to the point of being too hot. Couple of troubleshooting questions. - Is there a relay that you hear when they are switched on? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing this before, but now I don't. - I don't really suspect a faulty part, but instead a bad connection (or totally missed connection). What connections should I try? I've tried the connection behind the switches, and the main module near the radio. I've looked under the seats and everything looks fine, but it was a quick glance so I'll look some more tomorrow. I'm guessing there are more connectors to try out though. I figured there might be something else is behind the dash. I really wish I had a wiring diagram or layout of all the connections. Another option would be a current probe to actually see how much current its drawing. I might be able to borrow a current probe from work if I know which wire under the seat to measure. Thanks!
There is definitely a relay that clicks when I turn mine on. There are also two wires going under the seats that you should be able to test for power.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 14 and my seats get toasty warm. It takes about 10 minutes and I usually turn them down to the low setting. I just had mine repaired under warranty and they had to replace the module which behind the radio and the element under the seat cover. I have cloth seats. My buddy has leather seats and his do not get near as warm as mine do.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have a 14 and my seats get toasty warm. It takes about 10 minutes and I usually turn them down to the low setting. I just had mine repaired under warranty and they had to replace the module which behind the radio and the element under the seat cover. I have cloth seats. My buddy has leather seats and his do not get near as warm as mine do.
I second this. My seats in my 17 are cloth and heated and they are also very warm. I have to drop to low setting after about 10 min. If yours aren't hot at high after a few minutes there is an issue.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phljeeper
There is definitely a relay that clicks when I turn mine on. There are also two wires going under the seats that you should be able to test for power.
I definitely don't hear the relay, but I have noticed the the back cushion getting very hot, but the seat cushion not. I also have cloth seats. Hard to say whether this repair caused it or not. I thought I remember the seat cushion getting extremely hot as well.

Thanks all for the replies!

I hate this kind of repair because pretty much anything in the dash might not work correctly. My auto lights didn't go off today and I noticed it, but it somewhat overcast so will have to wait for a sunny day. I also noticed a screw missing on the U-Connect bluetooth module when putting back in my aftermarket head unit and connecting the usb port. Last time I'll be at this dealer for service.

Quick Reply: Factory Heated Seats