Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Factory LSD on Sport Issue / Question

Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Factory LSD on Sport Issue / Question

Is anyone experiencing only 1 wheel spinning, LSD Not working? Dealer keeps saying it is working as designed. B4 I go to Jeep Customer relations thought I would ck with the Forum. Let Me Know. TY
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Doesn't it have to spin at first to get the clutches to activate?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Is anyone experiencing only 1 wheel spinning, LSD Not working? Dealer keeps saying it is working as designed. B4 I go to Jeep Customer relations thought I would ck with the Forum. Let Me Know. TY
Something isn't working. Mine works great but the brake traction works great too. One or the other should be working for you. My front axle doesn't turn much before the brake traction takes over but I can't even remember the rear spinning.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Factory LSD on Sport Issue / Question

What is the situation the Jeep is in were only one wheel spins? How are you testing?

The factory LSD is a clutch pack and can only hold so much before it lets go. The only true way to get both (or all four) wheels to spin is with a locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while wrenching on my Jeep.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You can test the limited slip differential at home if you can rig something up to put a torque wrench on the wheel.

Here are the steps:

1. Place blocks in front and rear of both front wheels.
2. Raise one rear wheel until it is completely off the ground.
3. Engine off, transmission in neutral, and parking brake off.
4. Remove wheel and bolt adapter tool to studs.
5. Use torque wrench on adapter to rotate wheel and read rotating torque.
6. If rotating torque is less than 30 ft. lbs.or more than 200 ft. lbs.on either wheel the unit must be replaced.

Here is a picture of a tool that will work, available at most auto parts stores.
The bolt can be found at a hardware store.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-19-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default trac lok differential

The Trac Lok diff is marginal at best trying to bias torque when really needed. And Trac Loks wear out. It works best on road and then only when there is not a big difference of traction or weight transfer side to side. But it works pretty well when combined with the factory jeep BLD system watching over it. You can sometimes find it to be overcome and do a 1 wheel wonder on you, but when that happens if you are in a situation that allows you to back off the throttle and then reapply it usually will spin both. that 1 wheel spin stuff usually happens on road where your not in a situation to keep pouring on the gas. Also there are times when the other safety nannies are doing something and interfering with traction performance. Off road is where the BLD system really shines and on the rear axle combined with the Trac Lok is very nice indeed.
Do a search of Jeep BLD, there is a lot of info out there to help you understand just how well it works.
Keep on jeepin !
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default TY for the reply..

Originally Posted by OH9JK
What is the situation the Jeep is in were only one wheel spins? How are you testing?

The factory LSD is a clutch pack and can only hold so much before it lets go. The only true way to get both (or all four) wheels to spin is with a locker.

Originally it would break both loose on wet pave / snow on cornering, now just the inside breaks not getting sideways.. do you know any locker for this new LSD that Jeep put in beginning in012?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default TY for the reply

Originally Posted by ODAMO
The Trac Lok diff is marginal at best trying to bias torque when really needed. And Trac Loks wear out. It works best on road and then only when there is not a big difference of traction or weight transfer side to side. But it works pretty well when combined with the factory jeep BLD system watching over it. You can sometimes find it to be overcome and do a 1 wheel wonder on you, but when that happens if you are in a situation that allows you to back off the throttle and then reapply it usually will spin both. that 1 wheel spin stuff usually happens on road where your not in a situation to keep pouring on the gas. Also there are times when the other safety nannies are doing something and interfering with traction performance. Off road is where the BLD system really shines and on the rear axle combined with the Trac Lok is very nice indeed.
Do a search of Jeep BLD, there is a lot of info out there to help you understand just how well it works.
Keep on jeepin !
The dlr printed the SM.. originally it broke both loose could get it sideways on wet pave/snow.. now just the inside .. no real LSD.. do you know of a locker for this crappy new LSD Jeep started using..
Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default TY for the reply

Originally Posted by OH9JK

Originally it would break both loose on wet pave/snow fun getting sideways.. now at 13K miles it breaks the inside loose .. not both.. Do you know of a locker for this new rear and LSD ..
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Originally it would break both loose on wet pave/snow fun getting sideways.. now at 13K miles it breaks the inside loose .. not both.. Do you know of a locker for this new rear and LSD ..
If you drive it aggressively(heavy throttle around corners) all the time I can see the TracLok being worn. Also if you've ever changed the diff oil you have to add LSD modifier to it(fyi)

I would recommend getting your fault codes read to see if there may be a problem with one of your wheel sensors or something.

Does the front axle work properly? BLD

Quick Reply: Factory LSD on Sport Issue / Question