Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

failed smog test????02 sensor catalyst

Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed smog test????02 sensor catalyst

I have an 08 rubicon auto 4 dr with 107k miles on got the registration today and had to get it smogged. It came back with a OBDII monitors (catalyst) oxygen sensor not ready. So it did not pass they tech told me that if I had thrown a code it would not rest the monitors and that meant that the o2 sensors 1 of 4 might be close to being bad. I did throw a code but have put close to a 1000 miles on it since it was reset. I had the little lightning bolt come on indicting a problem with the drive by wire and the check engine light . I have a leak in the transmission so I think that the fluid went very low causing the tranny to malfunction and affecting the drive by wire which threw the codes I had the code read an it came back as an mass oxygen sensor so i had the guy reset it and top off the transmission since then no problems until today getting smogged.

So these are the questions
1 is it possible for the oxygen sensor to be on the verge of failure and give a OBDII not ready result?
2 what is covered in the drivetrain life time warranty? would a transmission leak be covered but not a leak form the transmission cooler?
3 the issue seems to be in the catalyst ( oxygen sensor) does that mean my catalytic converter is going bad? Is that covered?
Is the transmission incident at all related to the catalyst oxygen sensor being not ready?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may not be relevant to your issues. but after off roading in West Virginia.. we returned home only to have the check engine light come on.. turns out it was the dreaded P0430 code.. Cat system.. Not the sensor.. so I did some research and found out that the Fed Gov has a law on the books that states:

If the cat system fails between 8 years /80,000 miles the dealer etc must install a new one hence under warranty.. So we get a new cat free..

Using this as a reference and if your cat has never been replaced.. and I know this doesn't help that you've passed the time limit, It looks like you could have the same issue, yet reading a different code.. but are you sure or did you see the code numbers.. So again could be just part of your issue and I would have someone actually show you the code just to make sure it is what it is..
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you disconnected the battery recently? If so, the vehicle needs to have a certain amount of on/off and drive cycles before the monitor shows as ready and can then perform its tests.....
Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You are out of warrantee on your cat if it is bad. Those sensors are expensive and you may be better off just taking to a proper shop to fix it as most likely you have a bad cat. If you have a code reader it will tell you which sensor is bad and you could swap them side to side to see if it is the sensor or not. If the code stays on the same side it is your cat.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
I have an 08 rubicon auto 4 dr with 107k miles on got the registration today and had to get it smogged. It came back with a OBDII monitors (catalyst) oxygen sensor not ready. So it did not pass they tech told me that if I had thrown a code it would not rest the monitors and that meant that the o2 sensors 1 of 4 might be close to being bad. I did throw a code but have put close to a 1000 miles on it since it was reset. I had the little lightning bolt come on indicting a problem with the drive by wire and the check engine light . I have a leak in the transmission so I think that the fluid went very low causing the tranny to malfunction and affecting the drive by wire which threw the codes I had the code read an it came back as an mass oxygen sensor so i had the guy reset it and top off the transmission since then no problems until today getting smogged.

So these are the questions
1 is it possible for the oxygen sensor to be on the verge of failure and give a OBDII not ready result?
2 what is covered in the drivetrain life time warranty? would a transmission leak be covered but not a leak form the transmission cooler?
3 the issue seems to be in the catalyst ( oxygen sensor) does that mean my catalytic converter is going bad? Is that covered?
Is the transmission incident at all related to the catalyst oxygen sensor being not ready?
I had this happen, after replacing a cracked exhaust manifold,

If you battery has been recently disconnected then you will need to drive a while for it to register,

Also if you have recently cleared the codes with an obd II coder reader then you will have to drive a while for it to register,

I had to drive mine like foreverrrrrrrr for it to register

Last edited by Rub_My_Icon; 09-17-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

My friend just went trough this he replace all the sensors to find out his upper cat on drivers side went bad

So he borrowed my exhaust to pass smog and drilled out his cat to get rid of the CEL until he can fix it right

Quick Reply: failed smog test????02 sensor catalyst