Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally wanting to get "popping out of gear" fixed

Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally wanting to get "popping out of gear" fixed

Hey All,

So I am finally wanting to get the "popping out of gear" problem fixed.

Couple of Questions:
  • Has anyone been successful getting the dealer to fix it outside of warranty? If so, how'd you make it happen? (I have 115k miles, not original owner)
  • What other parts might need to be replaced besides the 1st & 2nd syncros?
  • Are there other things that might make since to do while working on it? Perhaps change gear ratio? clutch?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Good luck having a warranty cover it. The dealer makes it tough to cover by claiming "could not replicate".

At the point that you're paying the price for someone to open up your transmission and poke around, you'd probably be cheaper off to just drop in a rebuilt case with a warranty.

Absolutely change your clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing while you're in there. Gear ratio is not changed with these pieces out of the jeep so hold on for a little longer.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started shifting to second gear while coming to a stop, then to first. It rarely jumped out if I did that. If I had not done a swap, and needed a clutch, I would have been tempted to drop transmission off at a good shop with documentation of the service bulletin. When I looked at parts kit online, it was about $250. I would think labor would be the most expensive part.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips.

Just talked to my normal repair guy who is generally affordable as they come and he quoted $2000-2500 for everything.

So back to square one... Anyone been able to get Jeep to fix this outside of warranty? It is definitely a safety issue and I am super surprised it was never recalled, but I'm sure Jeep did the cost-benefit on that one and decided against it.

Quick Reply: Finally wanting to get "popping out of gear" fixed