Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

FIX: Creaking noise from A-pillar (not roll bar bolts)

Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FIX: Creaking noise from A-pillar (not roll bar bolts)

I'd been experiencing a very annoying creaking/groaning noise from the top corner of the windshield/A pillar area whenever my JK's body would flex on uneven surfaces. I knew it was coming from the A pillar area but couldn't duplicate the noise by pressing on the trim pieces. I checked the 3 bolts and the little plastic screw on the A pillar and all were nice and tight. I checked the windshield bracket bolts as well, all were good.

So I decided to rip off the plastic trim and take a look at the frame. I realized that there is metal to metal contact where the roll bar is bolted into the windshield by those 3 bolts. I removed the 3 bolts and used a flathead screwdriver to pry the roll bar metal away from the windshield frame just far enough to slide in some foam weatherstripping. I reinstalled the 3 bolts and plastic trim pieces and the horribly annoying creaking sound is finally gone.

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone with the same creaking sound as I searched extensively and every thread had the same conclusion: one of the 3 bolts on the A pillar is loose.

If anyone needs pictures just let me know.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Elmer1280
Just wanted to put this out there for anyone with the same creaking sound as I searched extensively and every thread had the same conclusion: one of the 3 bolts on the A pillar is loose.

Hope you're still around. I just picked up my Rubicon HR and have creaking noises in the same area. Can you post some pics?

TIA
Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to see a few pics as well. Same problem, and I haven't been able to find anything.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmer1280
I'd been experiencing a very annoying creaking/groaning noise from the top corner of the windshield/A pillar area whenever my JK's body would flex on uneven surfaces. I knew it was coming from the A pillar area but couldn't duplicate the noise by pressing on the trim pieces. I checked the 3 bolts and the little plastic screw on the A pillar and all were nice and tight. I checked the windshield bracket bolts as well, all were good.

So I decided to rip off the plastic trim and take a look at the frame. I realized that there is metal to metal contact where the roll bar is bolted into the windshield by those 3 bolts. I removed the 3 bolts and used a flathead screwdriver to pry the roll bar metal away from the windshield frame just far enough to slide in some foam weatherstripping. I reinstalled the 3 bolts and plastic trim pieces and the horribly annoying creaking sound is finally gone.

Did it sound like plastic creaking?

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 11-25-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by StillFall
Hope you're still around. I just picked up my Rubicon HR and have creaking noises in the same area. Can you post some pics?

TIA
Turns out I was able to turn the one bolt a few more times to tighten it and the noise is gone.

Hope you guys can get your issue sorted out too.

Quick Reply: FIX: Creaking noise from A-pillar (not roll bar bolts)