Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fridge in your jeep

Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Sure it does....in the winter outside!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I just ordered a 28 quart one from Igloo off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Iceless...ler&th=1&psc=1

For $64 for Prime members, if it sucks, I'll send it back.

I don't do enough long distance travel, nor do I have the space, to justify $800 for an ARB.
I'm likely going to return this. After unboxing it, I plugged it into a 12v power supply and dropped some beverages in it. The temp inside dropped to 34 degrees. Plenty cold enough.

But I think it's still too damn big. The wife might want to keep it for other trips, we'll see. But I can't see me using this on an off road trip unless I strap it to my passenger seat.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm likely going to return this. After unboxing it, I plugged it into a 12v power supply and dropped some beverages in it. The temp inside dropped to 34 degrees. Plenty cold enough. But I think it's still too damn big. The wife might want to keep it for other trips, we'll see. But I can't see me using this on an off road trip unless I strap it to my passenger seat.
Check out the Coleman one at Walmart. It fits very nicely in the back of my jku. It is a different aspect ratio to the one you bought. You can use it standing up, or laying down like a chest fridge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4091594269.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	666944  

Last edited by rob_engineer; 02-19-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Check out the Coleman one at Walmart. It fits very nicely in the back of my jku. It is a different aspect ratio to the one you bought. You can use it standing up, or laying down like a chest fridge.
No way that 40 quart is going to fit at all in my rig. I have a 2 door with a Tuffy Security Deck covering the cargo area where the back seat used to be. The only place I can see the 26 quart Igloo one working is maybe on top of the deck. But I usually keep a storage tub up there with other items in it (jumper cables, rain gear, etc.) and I don't think there would be room for both. The space between the front seats and the security deck is usually occupied by my soft doors.

I've come to the conclusion that a refrigerated cooler is just not going to work for me. It would be great to have the space of a 4 door, but I love my 2 door too much.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I'm likely going to return this. After unboxing it, I plugged it into a 12v power supply and dropped some beverages in it. The temp inside dropped to 34 degrees. Plenty cold enough.

But I think it's still too damn big. The wife might want to keep it for other trips, we'll see. But I can't see me using this on an off road trip unless I strap it to my passenger seat.
After seeing everyone elses' comments about thermoelectrics, kinda surprised to see you said it dropped down to 34 degrees. Outside of the size not working for you, the unit itself seemed pretty decent?

Will one of these thermoelectrics kill a battery overnight? Seems great if you're driving all day, but what about a period of 10 hrs or so parked? Anyone have a thought or experience on that?

Edit - nm, I see this in one of the reviews:

I would not recommend running this with on a vehicle with the motor off as it would probably run your battery down in after a few hours, there is no low voltage shut off built in.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
After seeing everyone elses' comments about thermoelectrics, kinda surprised to see you said it dropped down to 34 degrees. Outside of the size not working for you, the unit itself seemed pretty decent?
My furnace is set at 65-69 degrees, depending on the time of day. A 35 degree drop, I believe, is what would be expected.

It was primarily the size that was the deal breaker for me. I was hoping it would be OK enough to fit behind the front seats, or even on top of my Tuffy security deck. But it was still a no-go.

It's worth the $65 I paid for it. If I traveled more in my wife's Grand Cherokee, I might have kept it. It'd be good for long trips. If I ever get a truck and trailer for hauling the Jeep across country, I might consider something similar for the trip there and back. As for using it on long trails like the Rubicon, where you are camping over night, maybe not so much.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how much they discount the ARB, it still won't fit in my 2-door, even with no back seat, once I have loaded it with spare axle shafts, air compressor, tools, first aid kit, camping gear, etc.
With a little imagination, you can fit an ARB 50Q in the back of a 2dr, with camping gear, spare parts, tools, etc. I've had an ARB for 4 years now and it's great out on the trails. Nothing beats a cold drink on a hot day or some ice cream.

The following users liked this post:
ChuzUThisDay (04-12-2021)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RodCyn
With a little imagination, you can fit an ARB 50Q in the back of a 2dr, with camping gear, spare parts, tools, etc. I've had an ARB for 4 years now and it's great out on the trails. Nothing beats a cold drink on a hot day or some ice cream.

That's what I'm talkin' about man. Was going to do a quick setup and post pics but you beat me to the punch. I haul quite a bit of stuff in the 2 door for work. People are amazed when I pull up and unload...

What's up with the metal on the lower containers? Looks like they're modded also lol...

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I am genuinely impressed!

I have a Tuffy security deck in the back of my 2 door that I would have to remove. But I won't at this point because it provided some much needed security for the contents in the back.

However, you have given me hope that one day, when I no longer need to worry about the Tuffy deck, and I win an ARB fridge in some contest I can fit one in my rig.

It's still to expensive for as often as I would use it. I don't make the kind of money that dropping $800, for a fridge I might use twice a year, wouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

DJI

Sure looks like coil vents are blocked...

Quick Reply: Fridge in your jeep