Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fridge in your jeep

Old 02-16-2017, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
How do these do in hotter temps? Here in socal it can get 100+ in the summer and all the units I see only cool to 30-40 below outside temp. which means drinks only get to 60*-70*.
i used my Coleman thermoelectric last year camping when it was about 90 degrees outside. I had food in it, so I gave it a boost. Frozen water bottles fit perfect in the bottom. I put a layer of these frozen bottles in the bottom. I camped for about four days. I put a digital thermometer inside the fridge. It kept it about 40 degrees. The ice was still solid after those 4 days.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the situation you are in as to whether the cheaper ones are worth it. I look at it this way, if I'm out wheeling, there's a chance I'll have the air conditioner running if it's 100+ degrees. It'll be cooler in the Jeep, and I only need it to keep my water bottles cold.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I just ordered a 28 quart one from Igloo off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Iceless...ler&th=1&psc=1 For $64 for Prime members, if it sucks, I'll send it back. I don't do enough long distance travel, nor do I have the space, to justify $800 for an ARB.
I run the same fridge and works great for camping trips. It probably doesn't get a cold in hot temps as a fancy ARB but keeps drinks and sandwiches cold. Not sure how well it would do with more perishable items for a long weekend in high heat though.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by phljeeper
I run the same fridge and works great for camping trips. It probably doesn't get a cold in hot temps as a fancy ARB but keeps drinks and sandwiches cold. Not sure how well it would do with more perishable items for a long weekend in high heat though.
I'll reiterate what I said in my earlier post. Adding frozen water bottles inside the thermoelectric fridges really helps. I think 42 degrees is the critical temperature for perishable food. Even in 90 degree weather, my Coleman fridge was able to keep below 42 for several days by using the boost that frozen water bottles provides. The main thing is to make sure the door/lid seals nicely when shut.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run a Coleman thermoelectric (at least I think it was a Coleman or maybe it was Igloo) and now have the Pelican series cooler as well as the ARB fridge/freezer.

I took the thermoelectric (* I think it was ~ 20 quarts *) on a 3-day Rubicon trip and it did "ok" using the frozen water bottle method for the first day and a half. The problem is once you start drinking the now unfrozen water bottles by day 2 and 3, it really sucks using it for anything else. The perishable food that I still had come day 3 was suspect and I ended up just throwing it in the trash. I think I used that thermoelectric cooler 1 other time and then finally pitched the damn thing.

The Pelican (45 quart model) actually does pretty good for longer 3-5 day trips. You do have to keep ice in it though which takes up space but it's insulated well enough that the ice slowly starts to melt by day 3. Like we all know with coolers, it all depends how much you open/close the cooler.

I like my drinks COLD. With the ARB (50 quart model) I keep it set to ~ 27F - 29F and it is beautiful. COLD DRINKS ALL DAMN WEEK and you don't need to worry about packing ice and taking up half the space as well. I love it so much that I keep it powered on in the garage when not on a road trip and now have myself a little mini-fridge in close proximity when I'm messing with the Jeep. The lady likes it because now I'm not hogging all the space in the main fridge in the kitchen.

The ARB or similar make that is designed to run off a 12 volt battery is also a great SHTF fridge. I've had it plugged up to a portable solar charging system and it works great. You see the crap going on right now in Venezuela with their currency hyperinflating, especially in the summer where they are dealing with blackouts and have no working fridge, you don't want to be in that situation. Having ice or items that are cold is like having a pot of gold and toilet paper in that country.

Once you go with the ARB or similar make/style that can run off a car battery and can get to as well as hold the lower cold temps you want for a much longer duration as long as it's powered, you'll be asking yourself why you waited so damn long to get one.

4WP actually had a sale on the 50 quart ARB around Christmas. They had a 1 day sale and were selling them for something crazy like $500. Deal of the century lol.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-17-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter how much they discount the ARB, it still won't fit in my 2-door, even with no back seat, once I have loaded it with spare axle shafts, air compressor, tools, first aid kit, camping gear, etc.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
No matter how much they discount the ARB, it still won't fit in my 2-door, even with no back seat, once I have loaded it with spare axle shafts, air compressor, tools, first aid kit, camping gear, etc.

I've got a 2 door as well. No problems here with the 50 quart but I can say it all depends on how much food/drinks you want to carry, the type of camping gear you roll with (for example I don't need to bring a cot or a 5 person tent as I use a hammock setup), and how you load everything else up.

I may get another ~20-25 quarter for the shorter trips but I'll probably just get a smaller Pelican instead of the thermoelectric. At least for the first thermoelectric I used, it was a gift and didn't have to spend any of my own $ on it.

Between the Pelican 45, the ARB 50, and a maybe a small Pelican 20 (or who knows maybe a better designed thermoelectric), I'll pretty much have all the bases covered.

* Also the Pelican's and so far from I can tell the ARB's are able to keep the "scents" away from the bears. With no gasket sealed lockable lid in bear country, you're just asking for it lol

Last edited by DJ1; 02-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is america and you can put anything you want in your jeep
my $50 cooler holds ice for 4 days and doesn't drain the battery
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by tramp
this is america and you can put anything you want in your jeep

I agree. That's why I have a Genesis Dual Battery system with the Odyssey batteries.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tramp
this is america and you can put anything you want in your jeep my $50 cooler holds ice for 4 days and doesn't drain the battery
Sure it does....in the winter outside!

Quick Reply: Fridge in your jeep