Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Axle Locking Wiring

Old 02-07-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Axle Locking Wiring

I have seen a lot of locking front axle post but they all come back to people posting about what the lights on the dash signify and when you can and cannot lock the axles. First, I'd just like to say that I know when I can and cannot lock my front axle and the difference between a flashing and a solid light.

I have a 2010 JKU Rubi, after locking both front and rear about a week ago and then unlocking each axle my front axle light continously flashes. Which after a ton of reading I believe has something to do with the wiring/connector?. I can still lock both front and rear (seeing solid lights) however the front axle light will flash continously once disengaged, and I can confirm that the front axle is not locked.

What I do not know is how and where to check the wiring/connector for this. I also am beginning to assume that even if I locate this I will have no clue what is wrong by simply looking at it.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sclittle
I have seen a lot of locking front axle post but they all come back to people posting about what the lights on the dash signify and when you can and cannot lock the axles. First, I'd just like to say that I know when I can and cannot lock my front axle and the difference between a flashing and a solid light.

I have a 2010 JKU Rubi, after locking both front and rear about a week ago and then unlocking each axle my front axle light continously flashes. Which after a ton of reading I believe has something to do with the wiring/connector?. I can still lock both front and rear (seeing solid lights) however the front axle light will flash continously once disengaged, and I can confirm that the front axle is not locked.

What I do not know is how and where to check the wiring/connector for this. I also am beginning to assume that even if I locate this I will have no clue what is wrong by simply looking at it.

Any thoughts?
So I can think of a couple things you can do.

1. Unhook the battery for 30 minutes or so and see if that fixes it.

2. Unplug the 'status' plug on your front differential. It's the big plug at the differential.

If that doesn't work, then it's the computer or perhaps the plunger in the differential.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I unplugged the battery and the connector for the front axle. Cleaned the connector out with WD 40 and the blew it clean with air. Connector was pretty stiff took extra work to disconnect.

Light still flashing, but everything is working fine. Front and rear both lock....

So computer issue?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sclittle
I unplugged the battery and the connector for the front axle. Cleaned the connector out with WD 40 and the blew it clean with air. Connector was pretty stiff took extra work to disconnect.

Light still flashing, but everything is working fine. Front and rear both lock....

So computer issue?

So maybe one last thing to try. Unplug the status connector and use a multimeter to see if there is current running through the plug when you're locked. If you get 12V and the status light if flashing, then I'd say it's computer (TIPM) related.

Other than that, I'm out of Schlitz. I wired my lockers so that they didn't use any of the computer system or that switch on the dash because I had intermittent issues similar to what you're describing. The separate switch system has worked flawlessly for 2 years now.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Locking Wiring