Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front drive shaft

Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was just the slip yoke cover I'd say don't sweat it. My rear ripped off years ago and still going strong. But since it's the end yoke, better to replace the whole driveshaft. I run a coast 1310 in front, stock rear(for now).
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TacomanBJK12
Would it be cheaper to fix this one
Yes, but as stated, it will happen again. The end ripped due to flex with the lift--Rzeppa joints aren't designed for that. The center ripped because of the lift and you have an auto transmission. If money is critical, it might be cheaper to find someone who's pulled a perfectly good one off of their Jeep and buy it from them. Check CL and the for sale subforum here on JKF.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the shaft,save money in the long run
Old 03-11-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasnt very clear at first, Im gathering parts for a 2wd to 4wd jeep conversion I got this off a guy for 40 my lift right now is a 2.5 teraflex coil lift I have a buddy with the same size lift and he doesnt have any issues with the stock front drive shaft I am trying to keep cost as low as I can. With that being said I don't think Im gonna be doing extreme rock crawling just small stuff here and there but mainly for sand and some mud. If I get that kit to repair the boot and it works ill be fine I just wanna know If others have had success doing so I dont know how many miles are on the DS but if I can rebuild it and save some money doing so Id rather do that and later in the far future think about upgrading drive shafts. Also the middle boot I guess is what is called what function does that have?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The middle boot is just a cover for the slip yoke. Mine fell off years ago as I said previously. It's just there to help keep crud off. You'll notice most aftermarket driveshafts do not run a boot there, so don't worry about it.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The middle boot melted because of the exhaust. If you don't want it to melt, get exhaust spacers. They cost $40 and move the exhaust away from the boot on the shaft. The yoke in the first pic though, you might as well spend the extra $150 for an aftermarket DS.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say, but you've got a $40 paper weight. I'd skip trying to rebuild. Look/call around to various shops to see if they have any take offs from a LOW mileage or new JK. The front shafts, I believe are same on both two and four doors. Looks kinda like ball bearings in the joint are missing or have damage to them.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft