Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front and Rear Differential Service

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miramontes
If it's so easy then why do they charge so much?
Because they can. Seriously it really is that easy
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Because they think you are a sucker! Hahaha
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Any reason to or not to use ant-seize on the diff cover bolts? Just thinking it might help for the 'next time'. (and not NOT on the fill or drain plugs)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do it yourself man, it's easier then changing motor oil and filter. I got bent over once at dealer then found this site and do it every 10K because it's cheap and easy to do. I picked up a bottle pump with hose for the front diff. I use 80w-90 valvoline durablend synthetic. 7.99 a quart.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

My front differential cover was seeping oil at 30K miles. The dealership wanted $225 per axle to change the oil and thereby re-seal the front cover. After tax that's almost $500! I suspect that for the back diff they wouldn't have removed the cover at all, but just open the drain plug and re-fill. That's good work if you can get it.

I declined.

FWIW... this is what my 2010 manual says on page 512 to do at 36,000 miles...

Inspect the front & rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing.
At no point in the maintenance schedule does it flat-out say to change the diff oil, but only if "for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing". Still, I think I'd do it about every 30K for street driving, and more often if going off-road.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

$338 is highway robbery I'd do it yourself. I had a weep on my front diff wanted $170 so I ended up doing it myself. Ended up buying two riddler covers
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

I agree with other posters that the price is way too high. I took my jeep in for servicing at the local dealership. They tried to charge me $600 for front and rear diff. That was at 15000 km (10000+ mi).
I refused, and found a decent shop that charged me $90 for front and back diff with full synthetic. Shop around for a good garage. I will not take my jeep to a dealership again unless it is for warranty work.
As for doing it myself.....I don't have the time or space to do it.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wired
I will not take my jeep to a dealership again unless it is for warranty work.
I agree with that. I have a great local garage that does most everything I need at very reasonable prices. When I need warranty or specialty work, I have to go to the dealer. Every time I'm at the dealer, however, they find a way to remind me that I don't bring my Jeep there very often for non-warranty work. I'm sorry, but I can't afford it! $500 for diff oil change, $50 for wiper blades , etc...

On my last visit I noticed they printed on the back of the service order an explanation in little cartoon pictures of why their service costs are so high. I found it funny that they feel the need to explain it. They list all the different things they have to pay for like all the different jobs they have to fill, rent, insurance, training, tools, etc... I agree that it's difficult to run a successful business that covers costs and makes a profit, but if you're set up in such a way to price yourself above your customer's means, find another way. Yeah, I have a Wrangler, but these same rates are charged to the guy who buys the economy car.

Last edited by fivenote; 05-03-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's crazy! i cannot believe they charge that much for something so simple.

Seriously it's actually easier than changing the oil. Look at the writeup on the link below for instructions.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jvalason
I'm waiting to hit 15k to change mine and get those solid dif covers on
That's what I did. I have changed it every 15k since then.

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Differential Service