Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Frozen wipers are pissing me off.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...roster-296608/

Hope this is the link to my defroster extension.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. Trying this out very soon
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Anybody try these?

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...Fe5aMgodnAEAhg
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Anyone try these? I'm going to pull the trigger on them.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I cannot stress enough how much I DETEST the defroster in this vehicle. It is by far the worst windshield defroster I have ever seen or used. Where did they test this thing, Death Valley? When winter rolls around, I dread driving in the snow and ice, because the poorly designed defroster just defrosts (and poorly at that) a swath in the center of the windshield, leaving the wipers to drag frozen water and snow across your field of vision from both undefrosted sides of the windshield. What a stupid, stupid design. Dangerous too, anywhere it snows. Ugh. One thing I have learned is to lower both sun visors so the heat is collected by them. It looks idiotic, but it works.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I just had this issue last week, driving home from work. Wipers frozen solid. In my Buick I had, it came with the Heated Washer Fluid. LOVED IT. Welcome to AlphaTherm the world leader in the development of Heated Wash Works great in the summer too with bugs and tar. Thought about buying the aftermarket one for the Jeep. The OEM one for GM worked amazing!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 AM
JK Newbie

I also suffered the same problem during last weeks snow. 20 minutes into my commute home on Saturday the blades were encased in ice. Seems the blades when off sit too low on the windshield to benefit from the defroster.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about the heated fluid and the heated wipers.

But I don't understand the complaints about the defroster. Mine works fantastic. Never have a problem. I could wake up to frozen ice on windshield and in 90 seconds it's melted without needing to scrape or brush off snow. And once I'm driving there's never any buildup.
And FYI, unheated washer fluid melts and assisted in the defrost process except I wait so I don't destroy the rubber of the blade.

The only complaint I have regarding heat in this vehicle is drivers vent is 8° cooler than the center vents.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People are reading this post two ways: the wipers are frozen to the dash when the driver starts out - or the wipers are somehow freezing to the glass while they are operating. Same cause to both. The defroster isn't designed well.

In heavy snow, accumulations of ice and snow quickly build up - first, in the lower, left corner - and second, in the lower right. Only ONE THING can affect these, that's HEAT from the defroster (which doesn't reach those areas during harsh conditions.

I was disappointed when someone suggested a heating tape to put on the bottom of the windshield - no one responded with one. That's what we need! Chrysler vans have HUGE windshields which have (rear window type) defrost bars running across the bottom of the windshields. THIS is what we need.

HERE is a good idea - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oster-extender - but I haven't seen one for sale. I saw on some forum where someone make something similar out of plastic pipe with many holes drilled. nice that these things can be removed when not needed.

It happens that my handicap placard sits on the dash over the defrost vent, and I have found that weighing it down helps force most of the heated air to the outside of the windshield. This isn't the end-all, but it's super-easy to adjust the proportion to the current conditions - and it helps a lot. I have remote start, and the Jeep is usually heated by the time I'm ready to drive. As always, you need to leave your controls set.

I don't know the actual size, but i expect these are similar in most areas. Any flat item will do.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HERE'S THE ANSWER!

http://www.frostfighter.com/adobe/12...09.09.2013.pdf

Quick Reply: Frozen wipers are pissing me off.