Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

full doors vs. half doors........

Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expensive, but both sets are ideal IMHO.
Winter

Summer

This is my daily driver now and though fine in the winter it's a real blast in the summer. The half doors feel almost like doorless and yet you can lock them (electrically) and arm the alarm with the remote. No there is no electric windows but the doors do work with the hardtop but I have no idea why you would want that. Soft top is great as far as nice days and either sun roof or fully down position but I have never liked the freedom top that much as I have no room for the panels if I ever do take them off. Soft top is much noisier so that might affect your decision but I like it!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full doors or no doors for us. I just can't see a urban / city daily driver without full metal doors. In my area I have yet to see a Jeep with half doors on the untamed city streets, sure would like to.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathom
Expensive, but both sets are ideal IMHO. ...

*drooling* very nice. I am still waiting on the half door kits (for two years now).

Did you start with full and obtain the halfs? or vice versa?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
*drooling* very nice. I am still waiting on the half door kits (for two years now).

Did you start with full and obtain the halfs? or vice versa?
He started with the fulls because he has the electronic gadgetry. That is not an option when you order your Jeep with the half doors.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have full doors, but want to get half doors asap.

My thoughts:
Full doors are great for winter. They are quiet, relatively secure, and much much, more practical. They can have electric locks and windows, if you want. Real windows are also better for drive thrus etc.

Half doors look far better with the top down, IMO. I do not like the look of the jeep with full doors and the top off. Front doors off, back doors on looks as bad or worse. I do not take the back doors off because of the kids. I think front doors off, half back doors would look great too.

Half doors are much more open. With the full doors, the jeeps feels closed and clausterphobic, IMO, compared to older jeeps or to my convertable. Jeep feels more like it just has a big sunroof rather than all open like my convertable.

Half door uppers can be stored in the jeep (i do hear they take up alot of room). This is huge issue for me. I love being doorless, but rarely get to because our forecast is so often "sunny, with a chance of scattered afternoon thundershowers". I would hate to be stuck at work with dress clothes on and no doors in a storm. With halfs I could put on the uppers if needed. Also, I could easily remove the uppers if I'm out and it turns sunny. This would be especially nice to be able to do on trips, where removing the full doors is often not practical.

I still prefer doorless to half doors, but halfs would be almost as good and much better than being stuck with full doors most of the time. Plus I could have halfs in the back even when I was front doorless and the kids would get a more open feel and the jeep would look much better.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

there is no good answer to this quesion... the only win win is to spend the extra 3000 for both
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

We had a cold Winter in Georgia this year ... and had no issue with half-doors and soft-top. The only point I see to full-doors and/or hard-tops is interior sound quality ....
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmhines
We had a cold Winter in Georgia this year ... and had no issue with half-doors and soft-top. The only point I see to full-doors and/or hard-tops is interior sound quality ....
And security. And convenience if you have to go in and out of a parking garage twice a day and would rather not have to unzip your windows every time.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are supposed to drive your car to work. Jeeps are for off pavement silly.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
You are supposed to drive your car to work. Jeeps are for off pavement silly.

Quick Reply: full doors vs. half doors........