Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas smell while off roading

Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Has anybody found a solution for this issue? My Jeep has been smelling like gas after it sits in the garage. When i go out to the Jeep in the morning the garage smells like gas and it is the strongest smell at the passenger rear tire area (where the tank is) I looked but couldn't see anything damp, but tomorrow i'm going to check all the hoses incase something is loose. Haven't been wheeling at all lately so this is just out of the blue.
I have smelled fuel a couple times (over 4 years) when the tank was almost empty, after parking in the barn. I chalk that up to an inexpensive locking cap venting some fumes.

But what you describe would worry me. It is quite different than the other posts in the location of the smell. You may want to drop the tank ASAP to get a good look at things, and make sure there is no leak.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
I have smelled fuel a couple times (over 4 years) when the tank was almost empty, after parking in the barn. I chalk that up to an inexpensive locking cap venting some fumes.

But what you describe would worry me. It is quite different than the other posts in the location of the smell. You may want to drop the tank ASAP to get a good look at things, and make sure there is no leak.
How involved is it to drop the fuel tank? I'm going to crawl under it here shortly and take a good look at everything i can, i'm praying something is just loose. The Jeep has just been in normal driving conditions so no real reason for a crack. Nothing on the ground either.

Where is out fuel filter location?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump before my Jeep spontaneously cumbusts..

How involved is it to drop the tank and get a good look, and has anybody changed their fuel filter?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Bump before my Jeep spontaneously cumbusts..

How involved is it to drop the tank and get a good look, and has anybody changed their fuel filter?
I have never dropped a JK tank. I think basically the skid holds the tank up. I imagine you will have to disconnect a few things, like the fill tube. As you lower it you would have to watch for tension on the connections, see where they are secured to the frame.

If I get a chance later today, gonna look for a write up.

I would not doubt if they put the darn filter inside the tank.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old thread. New problem for me. Just noticed the smell of gas, strongest outside, under passenger side rear by muffler (not by tank as much as it is further rear). This started with the jeep in the driveway. Mostly sitting. No wheeling lately, sadly. No visible leaks anywhere.

EVAP looks fine. No cracks evident, lines all look fine. etc.

The tank is about 3/4 full. Never had problems with splashing back at fill up. Everything is original except that I relocated the EVAP 8 years and 128,000 miles ago.

Thoughts? Fuel line above tank leaking?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Old thread. New problem for me. Just noticed the smell of gas, strongest outside, under passenger side rear by muffler (not by tank as much as it is further rear). This started with the jeep in the driveway. Mostly sitting. No wheeling lately, sadly. No visible leaks anywhere. EVAP looks fine. No cracks evident, lines all look fine. etc. The tank is about 3/4 full. Never had problems with splashing back at fill up. Everything is original except that I relocated the EVAP 8 years and 128,000 miles ago. Thoughts? Fuel line above tank leaking?
I believe that older JK/JKUs do not have one way valves in the hard pipe section of the filler line; maybe check that. Fuel could be splashing out and running down when wheeling? Robbi from MoTech routinely replaces that section with the modern MOPAR part, and he mentions and details it in one of his videos on YouTube "JKLS" channel look for videos with body off.

The vent line (above) might also be cracked?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. My issue happens/started during routine driving, not wheeling. I'll have the lines all checked. tnx

Quick Reply: Gas smell while off roading