Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas smell while off roading

Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if the evap was getting liquid in it, it still shouldn't smell. The evap system works by the filter absorbing the gas vapors from the tank. Then periodically the evap system runs air through the filter to desorb the vapors from the filter and into the engine where the air/fuel mixture from the evap system are burned up (thus not releasing the unburned fuel).

Since it is theoretically a closed system (sealed tank, canister, lines, and connected to the intake of the engine) even if you got liquid into the evap system, the worst that would happen is your engine would run a little rich compared to normal. However, as long as the engine is still running, even if it ran rich from extra fuel from the evap system purging the exhaust shouldn't smell like raw gasoline.

Also if there was a leak in the evap system lines the check engine light should activate. In fact it seems like most people have the opposite problem where if the gas cap isn't on juuust right or if they've messed with the evap system at all, the light activates...even if there isn't necessarily a leak.

Is there any evidence of gas dripping out from around the gas cap (oily stains near the gas cap)? Maybe the gas is splashing up near the filler and just a little is dripping out from around the cap. You would be surprised at how little gas it takes to make a big stink. Hope this helps!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2

Originally Posted by mkjeep
i would check your evap can for a crack , loose hose, fitting, etc.
x2

Old 08-01-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tpm152
Even if the evap was getting liquid in it, it still shouldn't smell. The evap system works by the filter absorbing the gas vapors from the tank. Then periodically the evap system runs air through the filter to desorb the vapors from the filter and into the engine where the air/fuel mixture from the evap system are burned up (thus not releasing the unburned fuel).

Since it is theoretically a closed system (sealed tank, canister, lines, and connected to the intake of the engine) even if you got liquid into the evap system, the worst that would happen is your engine would run a little rich compared to normal. However, as long as the engine is still running, even if it ran rich from extra fuel from the evap system purging the exhaust shouldn't smell like raw gasoline.

Also if there was a leak in the evap system lines the check engine light should activate. In fact it seems like most people have the opposite problem where if the gas cap isn't on juuust right or if they've messed with the evap system at all, the light activates...even if there isn't necessarily a leak.

Is there any evidence of gas dripping out from around the gas cap (oily stains near the gas cap)? Maybe the gas is splashing up near the filler and just a little is dripping out from around the cap. You would be surprised at how little gas it takes to make a big stink. Hope this helps!
Wouldn't be the first time check engine light didn't come on. Hell, I've never had a change oil light come on. Also, they're just now getting around to giving you a warning light for a tranny about to burst into flames. I agree he should check the cap and neck/hose area though.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azxr
Yes. Strongest from the back near the tail gate/muffler area...

I can't pin point exactly the circumstances it happens in but there are two things that seem to be in common for the three times I have smelled the fumes.

1. Already have been on the trail for for 3 or so hours with most of it in 4 lo rocky or rough wash type terrain...
x2 I've only had it happen twice so far. Both times it was after driving a long distance in 4 Low. Once down here in the desert in a wash and the second time was up in Colorado after climbing Cinnamon Pass. No lights or warnings, just smells like machined gas in the rear of the Jeep (didn't really smell it when I was inside the Jeep). Also didn't see any sign of a leak.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I smelt it

On the way home from the grand canyon all highway no off road, then i had the driver side tale light out to hookup trailer light plug ,there's a gas tank vent in there
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002
didn't really smell it when I was inside the Jeep). Also didn't see any sign of a leak.
We actually smell it in the jeep first; it is a fairly strong odor. I can then go around the back by the gate and smell it stronger, but don't see anything. In our case, I am pretty sure it is raw gas I am smelling.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azxr
We actually smell it in the jeep first; it is a fairly strong odor. I can then go around the back by the gate and smell it stronger, but don't see anything. In our case, I am pretty sure it is raw gas I am smelling.
I know in Colorado we had the top and windows up, but right after I stepped out of the Jeep I recognized the smell and went around back to investigate. It was pretty strong outside. I'm not sure if it’s raw gas or "cooked" gas or something like that.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently pulled a trailer up into the mountains at about 7K '. Once I stopped I heard what I thought was the radiator getting hot and bubbling, I opened the hood and nothing. After a while I really smelled gas and was looking for a leak but nothing so I waited for a while. When nothing changed and it was still making a bubbling sound I took the gas cap loose and all sounds and smells stopped. I had purchased a locking cap from the dealer but I have had no problems with it other than whatever happened going up in altitude. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Mine is not a pressure thing because I can drive on roads up to 14,000 feet, but if I am wheelin at 7,000-9,000 ft its bad.

Like stated it is REALLY strong at the back of the vehicle.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't sure if it is raw gas or rich exhaust (cooked gas) it may just be your evap purging and making your engine run rich. It would make sense if it happens during times of high demand on the engine as this is usually the time that the computer purges the evap system. Also if you can smell it in your cabin before you can smell it outside you may want to check your exhaust manifold for cracks (especially if you get headaches during the times that you can smell it).

Quick Reply: Gas smell while off roading