Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas smell while off roading

Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is definitely raw fuel
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
If you aren't sure if it is raw gas or rich exhaust (cooked gas) it may just be your evap purging and making your engine run rich. It would make sense if it happens during times of high demand on the engine as this is usually the time that the computer purges the evap system...
For me, the two times were high demand on the engine.

Mine doesn't smell exactly like a gas station/can of gas, but a very very rich exhaust. I guess the evap purges through the intake of the engine so I wouldn't be able to tell if the smell is from the purge, except by maybe smelling the exhaust directly?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My hypothesis is that this gas odor is connected with the failure of the internal gas tank rollover valve. That valve's failure is what causes fuel to spray out at the operator during refueling. It stands to reason that if the valve is broken or stuck open then as one drives or wheels their Jeep, fuel is constantly entering the filler tube.

A while back, I was smelling gas in the cabin often so I replaced the gas cap which seemed to work. Then I noticed that during refueling that I was getting that splash back of which others complained. That's when it dawned on me that the two are possibly related.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

We just spent the last two days wheelin around Buena Vista. On three or four occasions, when descending from very high we would get a raw gas smell. Bad

I thought I broke something first time we smelled it.

I stopped and took the gas cap off. Put it back on.

End of smell.

The next few times it did this we just pulled the cap and put it back on. End of smell.

I may have a bad cap, I put a locking cap on it almost two years ago.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

We had a long drive mostly on the freeway coming down the mountains. I got the smell (cooked gas) and noticed it was the worst around the gas tank cap. I removed the cap and noticed the odor from the tank was different (smelled like raw gas).
Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

I've tried removing the gas cap and that has done nothing for me. I have been up the hill a few times and it seems to only happen when we are wheeling on rough terrain. I drove to the top of Mt. Evans on pavement, nothing. I drove up Webster pass, I get the nasty awful gas smell. I am running Red cone tomorrow, I'm sure it will smell.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have only encountered this problem going down hill. It also seems worse if the tank is full or very close to it. I always figured it was sloshing through the vent into the canister and then taking a while to evap out. who knows?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had this happen this past weekend while wheeling...we were done and heading out the parking area when I noticed the smell, raw gas at the back of the drivers side. no strain on engine, but some sloshing around.

just had the tank replaced prior to going wheeling so i thought it had something to do with new tank-replaced due to the splash back during filling.

i will check the evap closer next time i smell it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody found a solution for this issue? My Jeep has been smelling like gas after it sits in the garage. When i go out to the Jeep in the morning the garage smells like gas and it is the strongest smell at the passenger rear tire area (where the tank is) I looked but couldn't see anything damp, but tomorrow i'm going to check all the hoses incase something is loose. Haven't been wheeling at all lately so this is just out of the blue.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

quit crappin your pants while off roading.

Quick Reply: Gas smell while off roading