Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas Tank Skid Removal

Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Skid Removal

UPDATED WITH PHOTOS AND ADDITIONAL INTEL --> SEE FURTHER POST

as the title states... the main question is since the skid plate holds up the tank... do i need to detach any hoses before lowering the skid and tank down?

i beat mine up pretty good at tellico and want to de-dent it with a large hammer... then i want to paint it red...

Last edited by 07JKX; 11-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Only tip I can give is wait until your almost out of gas. 20 gallons of gas weighs quite a bit.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

i have about an 8th of a tank right now... so i figured now is the best time... i really would prefer not detaching hoses... but i will if i absolutely have to.

i could see myself forgetting to reattaced something, going to fill up and then thinking there was somethin wrong after pumping 80 gallons... onto the ground
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
I took mine off and didnt break any of the lines (this was before i knew it held up the tank LOL
I guess i'm not the only one who did it. lol

Originally Posted by Robar
Only tip I can give is wait until your almost out of gas. 20 gallons of gas weighs quite a bit.
Thats a great tip btw, i got lucky mine was almost empty when it came down on me with a skid plate.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you lose any capacity or is it just banged up? Mine is a little banged up, but I'm not going to worry about it. At some point I'm just going to cover it up with a stronger skid plate.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tgrt
Did you lose any capacity or is it just banged up? Mine is a little banged up, but I'm not going to worry about it. At some point I'm just going to cover it up with a stronger skid plate.
i am thinking that I lost a bit... maybe half gallon or so... but the main reason is that it is packed full of mud... and i want to paint all my armor red so the next time i use it, i can see exactly where i hit.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Skid Removal

I took mine off to reinforce it, used some 3/8 rope between tank and skid to hold tank up, tied it to the frame rail and frame cross member. use a wire coat hanger as a snake to pull the rope through after you back out the six skid bolts about halfway, worked great for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default real bright idea

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
post up how it goes. i need to do the same thing, mines smashed so bad the tank is pushed into the floor and it squeeks really bad and is driving me crazy. i think while mines off im going to weld some thicker metal on it
now that's a bright idea, just make sure ur insurance is all paid up and u tell ur little wife and kids goodbye.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ricrac12525
I took mine off to reinforce it, used some 3/8 rope between tank and skid to hold tank up, tied it to the frame rail and frame cross member. use a wire coat hanger as a snake to pull the rope through after you back out the six skid bolts about halfway, worked great for me.
great idea!! i hope mine is not too full with mud to do this. I will try tonight!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
now that's a bright idea, just make sure ur insurance is all paid up and u tell ur little wife and kids goodbye.
not sure i understand this comment

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Skid Removal