Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gascap message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gascap message

GASCAP message came on today for no reason. Checked gas cap and it was on tight. Haven't done anything else that would trigger it.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Bunch of posts about this. It happened to me a couple years ago on my 2012. Check the hose that goes to the Evap canister. I simply turned mine and it made the error message go away. On 2012 or later it's near the fire wall on the drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3276892372.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	645178  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I had mine a few months back. $22 from the dealer for a stock replacement. After I put it on, it took about 2 days for the message to finally go away.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-04-2016, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Replace It

Same here, got the code and the dealer stated it had "leak by". Changed it out and it cleared after a couple of days.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am fighting with this now. Had the gascap light for awhile. Changed it to an Autozone one with no luck. Got the dealer cap. No luck. Did a leak test no luck. Replaced the ESIM on the canister. It got rid of the gascap light, but now i have a small evap leak. Changed Purge valve. No luck. Im down to either a filler neck issue or Evap canister. I hope for you its as easy as the gascap replacement.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I got it and it turned out my gas cap wasn't on all the way. I know it's probably not super helpful but it took a few days for it to go away.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
I am fighting with this now. Had the gascap light for awhile. Changed it to an Autozone one with no luck. Got the dealer cap. No luck. Did a leak test no luck. Replaced the ESIM on the canister. It got rid of the gascap light, but now i have a small evap leak. Changed Purge valve. No luck. Im down to either a filler neck issue or Evap canister. I hope for you its as easy as the gascap replacement.
Did you check the vacuum line that's on the bottom of the purge valve attached to the TIPM? That hose is vulnerable to damage from engine heat, especially right where it makes its right-angle turn below the valve. See image, bearing in mind that mine is rearranged because of the dual-batteries ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Spark Plugs, Aug 15, N5_3628, Passenger's Side Before.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	646119
Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Did you check the vacuum line that's on the bottom of the purge valve attached to the TIPM? That hose is vulnerable to damage from engine heat, especially right where it makes its right-angle turn below the valve. See image, bearing in mind that mine is rearranged because of the dual-batteries ...

Attachment 646119
Yep, that was the first place I looked. I didnt see any cracks or holes, but i tapped it anyway. Sadly no luck...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a cheap locking gas cap on amazon. I get the code when its locked sometimes. I'm guessing it doesn't vent properly when locked. Mentioning incase anyone has that happen, before they go trying to trace the problem beyond the cap.

Quick Reply: Gascap message