Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Getting to back seat in a 2-door

Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back seat access in the 2 door JK BLOWS!!!!! It is a major PITA for my kids to get in and out.

I hope somebody comes up with something soon. Whoever does will probably sell lots of them. Maybe we can get Woods on it!!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
I wonder if they relocated the sensor in the 09s since it tilt and folds?
Is this true?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums
The back seat access in the 2 door JK BLOWS!!!!! It is a major PITA for my kids to get in and out.

I hope somebody comes up with something soon. Whoever does will probably sell lots of them. Maybe we can get Woods on it!!
Seriously! If someone make a kit to make the passenger seat move and fold like in the TJ's, they'd make millions!

Got me wondering if you could find a TJ in a junkyard, take the assembly that's underneath the passenger seat and replace the one in the JK with it. If it could be done with the seat study and SAFE, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What's this sensor about the airbag others are talking about? I thought those were in the front of the Jeep when you hit something. The TJ had passenger airbag too so why did it get the awesome folding seat?

I know what we need to do. Who out there has a JK 2-door AND a TJ? They could measure the framework under the passenger seat to see if they are even remotely the same size so see if it's even possible. That would be a great start.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums

I bet I could get the 2 guys I just started carpooling with to chip in for this mod, they squeezed past the seat the first day but since the top is off they have been using the over the side method.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by djdingo

What's this sensor about the airbag others are talking about? I thought those were in the front of the Jeep when you hit something. The TJ had passenger airbag too so why did it get the awesome folding seat?

I know what we need to do. Who out there has a JK 2-door AND a TJ? They could measure the framework under the passenger seat to see if they are even remotely the same size so see if it's even possible. That would be a great start.

The airbag sensor under the seat is some new thing that auto companies are using to make airbags safer. They check your weight and the seat position to determine how the airbag is going to inflate...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by saltman
I wonder if they relocated the sensor in the 09s since it tilt and folds?
I have heard that kicked around (even for the 08's), but have yet to see any proof that is going to be done or is even possible. My guess is now that they offer the four-door, they're not too concerned about back seat passengers for us two-door owners
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by djdingo

The TJ (some anyways) had a switch on the center console that let you deactivate the passenger airbag with the key. The JK doesn't have this. The sensor measures weight and as Wayland said determines the parameters of the airbag function. If you drive your JK with no one in the passenger seat, you'll notice the light is on on the console, meaning the airbag is off and won't deploy unnecessarily in an accident.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
The TJ (some anyways) had a switch on the center console that let you deactivate the passenger airbag with the key. The JK doesn't have this. The sensor measures weight and as Wayland said determines the parameters of the airbag function. If you drive your JK with no one in the passenger seat, you'll notice the light is on on the console, meaning the airbag is off and won't deploy unnecessarily in an accident.
can you explain this a little better for me, as when I don't have a passenger, I don't see any lights?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just have my passengers climb over and around the front seats. to hell with watching them get all banged up and twisted like a fish in the net with the passenger seat belt. I have the back seat out right now and am loving it! I like the idea of making a couch outa it. I had some extra seats from my old 93 RX-7 that I turned into video game chairs, you be supprised how realistic racing games 'feel' win your sitting in race car seats! no if someone would make a Jeep video game with a fully functional gimbal system, that'd rock.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Since it's just my wife and I and the dog, I took my backseat out the day I brought my Jeep home and it hasnt been back in since. But I do hope someone comes out with a mod. I tried getting back there from the front a time or two for cleaning, etc. and what a pain. Now if I have to get back there for something, I just go through the tailgate area. I have a grandson now and would like to put the seat back in when he gets a little older. I can only imagine trying to load him up back there.

Quick Reply: Getting to back seat in a 2-door