Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good quality lug nuts that don't rust!?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard really good things about these. http://shop.mcgard.com

Mine are black Gorilla lug nuts and it didn't take long before they started rusting. They have some now that are black chrome.....not sure if they're any better...prob are.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dont you want to match your lug nuts

with all the other jeep parts that have rust issues on a new jeep ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAHF2MAS.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	612992  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-31-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
with all the other jeep parts that have rust issues on a new jeep ?
Dang, that's horrible!! Do the majority of vehicles up north have this problem or is it mainly Jeep?

Soooo....high quality lug nuts might be slow to rust, but the studs and everything else are doomed from the get-go.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 AM
Former Member

How sad it is that the Wrangler is a high ground clearance offroad utility vehicle where people that are used to driving cars can now walk around and see non issue surface rust on suspension components. Exhaust parts included. Put anything else up on a hoist and there's a difference?
SOLUTION...they could build a low rider model and charge extra to do unnecessary coatings on the parts that could still be seen through the wheel rim cutouts.
Ah I spoke too soon...I could make a million on conversion kits instead
Old 06-01-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Default that pic isnt my jeep

Originally Posted by bfschor
Dang, that's horrible!! Do the majority of vehicles up north have this problem or is it mainly Jeep?

Soooo....high quality lug nuts might be slow to rust, but the studs and everything else are doomed from the get-go.
how ever when i ordered mine from the factory it showed up with that much rust on it and 10 miles on odometer . They just are not coating these jeeps with paint properly at the factory, so first week of ownership i was buying spray paint and here it is 3.5 years later and buying a can a month or it just gets out of control it was worse than the photo i posted (serious) i dont know why some are worse than others too but my 2011 was not as bad but was rusted as well brand new. My 2012 Rubicon Would be rust bucket if not for buying semi gloss rustoleum cans every month . This will defer me from buying another Jeep with out A doubt . I wanted waited 6 weeks for it to show up to me after ordering . Yeh i love my jeep because i really wanted one starting in 2009 I always bought trucks in my past, but after saving and buying a 2011 jk sport then a 2012 rubicon and having all the issues ive had between the two Jeep vehicles i purchased and then chrysler dealerships avoiding warranty work at all costs and chrysler not replacing the ticking head untill it throws a code , hence having to drive a ticking pentastar till it has check engine light comes on before fixing it . bad syncros at 3000 miles on tranny having to dig into it. DW on a new jeep saying it was a stabilizer shock , bad harmonic ballancer split in half. water leaks on my 2011, Any time i ever complained of a problem they generally say they cant duplicate the issue or its typical of the vehicle and dont end up fixing anything . They Were Always wasted trips . I think most likely ill go back to a pick up truck next time around . I owned a lot of new trucks over the years of driving and never had issues like i did with these Chrysler products nor rust issues like this . Lets face it buying a new vehicle is suposed to be a happy day for the consumer ( who wants to have to spray paint the defects within the first week of ownership . Fighting with Chrysler isnt on my Agenda just to be a owner of a vehicle . Most of my issues are taken care of now but no Thanks to Chryser on the repairs either . I still have the bad head issue on the bad production of heads that is not throwing the code as of yet 30,000 miles of ticking . Oh well i was determined to keep my jeep and not file the lemon law as i prob , should have in the beginning lesson learned but i was determined to iron out the issues and keep my beloved jeep mission accomplished !

btw yes up north they use wayyyy to much salt and calcium on the roads in the winter which only worsens the problem from the factory by not painting the components properly underneath
If you let it rust it will do just that until it does cause structural issues and costly repairs

Name:	IMG_2211 (2).jpg
Views:	611
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	613108  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-01-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

When I bought my Rubi I immediately got the Diamond-kote module, to fight the rust... and now, 5 years later I can totally tell that the thing works!
You just need every now and then to pop the hood and inspect the module.

in the future I will install Diamond-kote again on ANY new vehicle that I will get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	protection-auto-dk9000.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	613115
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Junkie

Default I never heard of this !

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
When I bought my Rubi I immediately got the Diamond-kote module, to fight the rust... and now, 5 years later I can totally tell that the thing works!
You just need every now and then to pop the hood and inspect the module.

in the future I will install Diamond-kote again on ANY new vehicle that I will get.

Attachment 613115

How does it operate ? For underneath a jeep ? My upper paint shows no rust at all just underside

Show me your jeep underneath
ive never seen a well painted jk only in the movies

Name:	IMG_2404 (2).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	613119  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-01-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

How does it operate ? For underneath a jeep ? My upper paint shows no rust at all just underside

Show me your jeep underneath
I can't take pics at the moment, but I can tell you that the underneath of my 5 years Rubi is BLACK, not brown
The Diamond-kote module seat under the hood, plug to the battery and wired to the chassis (making the chassis negatively charged (I believe?), that tremendously slow rust).

IMO worth every penny.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

Default i wished i had known about this when i bought my 12

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
I can't take pics at the moment, but I can tell you that the underneath of my 5 years Rubi is BLACK, not brown
The Diamond-kote module seat under the hood, plug to the battery and wired to the chassis (making the chassis negatively charged (I believe?), that tremendously slow rust).

IMO worth every penny.

Thanks for that info . wonder if will it remove the rust i have now

i manage it now but this is a interesting concept you bring to the table here ! Wish i had known of this doohickey . You too live in a salt and snow zone north of me i guess .

I wonder if it will help his Nuts from rusting ?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that info . wonder if will it remove the rust i have now

i manage it now but this is a interesting concept you bring to the table here ! Wish i had known of this doohickey . You too live in a salt and snow zone north of me i guess .

I wonder if it will help his Nuts from rusting ?
It will not remove the rust that you already have, just slow it down from ever increasing.
the Idea with Diamond-kote is that you need to start using it ASAP, the sooner you start the longer your vehicle last - remember, all it does is slowing the rust process down,

If you can sand your existing rust out, and properly prime and paint - and then install the Diamond-kote, then the Diamond-kote will maintain your effort.
One of my friend did it 2 years ago, he bought used truck, sand it down (like a week work), undercoat it with 2 layers and then install the Diamond-kote, no rust since then!

Last edited by Dream Girl; 06-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Good quality lug nuts that don't rust!?