Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.8l

Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8l

Do what's the positives of the 3.8L engine?....wondering why u bought one.. So I'm wondering why Chrysler use the 3.8 liter its poor on power its poor on fuel economy was it just a fill in why they get rid of the inline 6 and waited for the 3.6 Pentastar if anybody can shed some light I appreciate it
Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 11rubiwannabe
Do what's the positives of the 3.8L engine?....wondering why u bought one.. So I'm wondering why Chrysler use the 3.8 liter its poor on power its poor on fuel economy was it just a fill in why they get rid of the inline 6 and waited for the 3.6 Pentastar if anybody can shed some light I appreciate it
The straight six engines would no longer pass the new emissions standards and with the roll ouit of the new Jk body style they needed a new engine. The used the 3.8 becuase its proved itself to be extremly reliable in the mini vans they produce. I just noticed yesterday I was 4 quarts lows on oil and been that way for a long time I'm sure. I beat my engine and after all that it still runs fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Great info.,.I didn't realize they were that durable....but what happened to the 3.9 truck engine?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blue project
The straight six engines would no longer pass the new emissions standards and with the roll ouit of the new Jk body style they needed a new engine. The used the 3.8 becuase its proved itself to be extremly reliable in the mini vans they produce. I just noticed yesterday I was 4 quarts lows on oil and been that way for a long time I'm sure. I beat my engine and after all that it still runs fine.
Agree about the durability. 8k miles ago I lost the oil filter on a freeway. Had it towed, filled with new oil and it ran like it always did knock on wood
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they are ridiculously reliable... my buddy had his oil filter on only hand tight while running some trails out at MOAB a couple years ago... the idiot lights came on and the oil was hot. pulled the dipstick and there was only a tiny drop of black as night oil on the tip. he let it cool down for about 30 minutes. he then drove it off the trail back to town like that. then he replaced the oil and filter and everything has been fine with his engine and he has clocked over another 50K miles on it since then. gotta love that 3.8!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 11rubiwannabe
Great info.,.I didn't realize they were that durable....but what happened to the 3.9 truck engine?
Not familiar with that one. I'm guessing they like the 3.8 better for the abuse most of us will put it through.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blue project

Not familiar with that one. I'm guessing they like the 3.8 better for the abuse most of us will put it through.
3.9 came in Dakotas and rams