Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    JK Super Freak db09JKU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    When sitting over night and it is cold, 30's, I get a grinding or like a dry bearing noise when I first start up. It only lasts a second and there is no abnormal engine sounds when running. It starts fine with no noise after that, and the rest of the day or when it warms up. It sounds like it is from one of the belt pullys or something. Starter? Bad pully?

    Any thoughts? TIA
    Present - 2009 JK Unlimited X, Red Rock, 33" (285/75-R17 Treadwright Warden AT's)
    Past - 99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16's
    Past - 89YJ - Gone but not forgotten.

    http://www.northridge4X4.com

  2. #2
    JK Freak scamp_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Mine does this too and from my research it seems this is a fairly common issue. There are a number of threads on this and I have yet to find a definitive answer as to what is causing it. Just chalkin' it up to "it's a Jeep".

  3. #3
    JK Junkie Jiblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by db09JKU View Post
    When sitting over night and it is cold, 30's, I get a grinding or like a dry bearing noise when I first start up. It only lasts a second and there is no abnormal engine sounds when running. It starts fine with no noise after that, and the rest of the day or when it warms up. It sounds like it is from one of the belt pullys or something. Starter? Bad pully?

    Any thoughts? TIA
    There is some concern about the AC compressors grinding on start up. Make sure your AC button is not turned on and make sure your mode selector is not pointing to (or partially to) either of the defroster settings.

    An old issue folks had was with the Power Steering pump grinding.

    And, of course, we can't leave the possibility of a bad anti-drainback valve in your oil filter. Before starting, let all the lights cycle, then watch for the red oilcan (low pressure) warning light to momentarily flash when you start the engine.
    2008 Jeep-Green Rubicon 2-door Automatic

    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

  4. #4
    JK Super Freak db09JKU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    I just changed the oil and it did it a few times before and after, so I hope I can mark that one off the list.
    Present - 2009 JK Unlimited X, Red Rock, 33" (285/75-R17 Treadwright Warden AT's)
    Past - 99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16's
    Past - 89YJ - Gone but not forgotten.

    http://www.northridge4X4.com

  5. #5
    Ncb
    Ncb is online now
    JK Freak Ncb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Parker, Colorado
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by db09JKU
    I just changed the oil and it did it a few times before and after, so I hope I can mark that one off the list.
    What brand oil filter?

  6. #6
    JK Super Freak db09JKU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Fram Tough Guard. Been using them since I bought in 09. Not saying it is not the issue but I haven't had issues thus far.
    Present - 2009 JK Unlimited X, Red Rock, 33" (285/75-R17 Treadwright Warden AT's)
    Past - 99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16's
    Past - 89YJ - Gone but not forgotten.

    http://www.northridge4X4.com

  7. #7
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    burns lake
    Posts
    13

    Default

    maybe starter not disengaging quickly enough. had that prob on chevy avalanche, jeep seems to do it too. Cold stiff grease on moving parts can be like glue.

  8. #8
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Im having the same issue. We're in the deep freeze here 6 months out of the year. Had an 2009 jk with no ac. Never did it. now with the 2010 rubicon, it does it like clock work. Time to resolve the issue once and for all. Any suggestions on what can ben change to prevent the ac compressor from grinding?

    Also are the oem mopar oil filters that shitty?

  9. #9
    JK Junkie Kojack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Grand falls, Newfoundland
    Posts
    2,015

    Default

    Mine does it, don't care....after like 1 sec it stops....big deal.
    Jeep.......towing rusty, broken toyotas since 1941!


    NORTHRIDGE4X4.CA
    TERAFLEX.BIZ
    SKID ROW - SKIDPLATES.COM
    VECTOROFFROAD.COM

  10. #10
    JK Super Freak Noxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
    There is some concern about the AC compressors grinding on start up. Make sure your AC button is not turned on and make sure your mode selector is not pointing to (or partially to) either of the defroster settings.

    An old issue folks had was with the Power Steering pump grinding.

    And, of course, we can't leave the possibility of a bad anti-drainback valve in your oil filter. Before starting, let all the lights cycle, then watch for the red oilcan (low pressure) warning light to momentarily flash when you start the engine.
    Interesting, i have auto climate control, i am going to make sure its completely off next time I start my jeep and see how that goes
    EVIL JK

  11. Default JK-Forum


Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •