Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard top or soft top?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

When I was shopping in 2012 for a new jeep, I assumed I would be getting a soft top. I test drive both and immediately came to the conclusion that I wanted the hard top based on considerably less noise. I know that today's soft top is way better than previous years, nonetheless, the hard top is still quieter. If I had a garage I would consider running a soft top for June through August, then go back to hard top for the remainder of the year.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 72 and have had my '08, 2 door since new with nothing but a soft top. I'm in MA so winters are harsh but the heat really cranks. In the summer the A/C works great. I have the sunrider top, but rarely use it. Have taken the top totally down only once or twice. A real pain to put back up especially if it rains. As for noise, no problem. Much quieter than my old 92 YJ. I'd sell the hard top for $1000 or so and keep the soft top on forever or until it falls apart. BTW I spray it a few times a year with 303 protectant to help prevent sun damage.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been rolling my 2dr with the soft top for this entire summer and have enjoyed every minute of it. I recently put the hard top back on because of the fact that my jeep will be sitting in a parking garage for the next 3 weeks while I'm in South Africa for work. When I put the hard top back on, I realized how much I missed my soft top. The hard top is definitely much more quiet, but the soft top is definitely more fun. That being said, I experienced this past winter with the soft top until mid January and hated it. The hard top is a blessing in the winter months. If I were you, I'd keep both tops and throw the hard top on in the winter and keep the soft top for the summer months. Switching out the tops semi annually is the best way to appreciate both worlds
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

I bought my jeep used with just the hard top, and found a soft top last week that I decided to buy because I wanted a top that was easier to remove and put back on by myself in case of rain, I still run with no top or doors most of the time but I like having the soft top that I can fold back or take off in a matter of 5-10 minutes by self, instead of the hard top that takes just a little longer but is infinitely harder to do by myself.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a hoist, look for the racor heavy lift.. I think you can google that and find what you need. that Is what I have and it is amazing. super easy to use and sturdy.

takes about 15-30 minutes to remove or install start to finish.

cost about $100.

if you have any questions about it, let me know.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

I really don't know what do do in the choice between soft and hard top: the climate in which I live is particularly sharp both in winter and summer' I live near the Italian Alps.

The weather is often rainy and wet all around the year
winter is usually freezing for weeks
Summer is usually very hot

What do you suggest?

Shall I live with a soft top only or not?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

I too am having this dilemma. I think if like to use the soft top for the summer months and the hard top for the winter months but I'm not sure. What does the dual top option list for, what should I pay?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

My '09 had a soft top only, I live in Mississippi & it's kind of like the guy said about Florida. We have almost a monsoon season. I liked it. Stayed dry inside and easy to let down. My new one came with a hardtop. It's a smidgen quieter, but not a lot, & I miss being able to let the top up and down. I'm probably going to sell my hardtop and buy a Bestop Supertop and run that exclusively.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brizio81
I really don't know what do do in the choice between soft and hard top: the climate in which I live is particularly sharp both in winter and summer' I live near the Italian Alps.

The weather is often rainy and wet all around the year
winter is usually freezing for weeks
Summer is usually very hot

What do you suggest?

Shall I live with a soft top only or not?
ild go with the hard top, you can easily remove the freedom panels in seconds and have your convertible, but have the noise reduction of the hard top in the mountain winds, and protection from winter as well. and on really nice days its not hard to pop off the rest of the hard top and set it on your lawn of a table while out enjoying being fully topless.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soft top if you want to have easy freedom to go completely topless. Hardtop will be somewhat quieter but not taken so easily without a hoist. I have a 12 Jk and it's warm in winter and I can't complain about the road noise but my tires run fairly quiet as well.

Quick Reply: Hard top or soft top?