Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard top or soft top?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hard top or soft top?

Know, the title is pretty general...

I bought a '13 Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. It was used, but like-new with only 5,500 miles on it. It's black with the body-colored hard top and fenders. AND it has the soft top with everything still in the original wrappers.

Initially, I stuck all the soft top parts up in the garage rafters, figuring that I'd never use it. I had a neighbor help me r&r the hard top so that I could take off the soft top stuff. I was thinking of just selling the soft top as new and virgin.

But now I wonder... My real concern is the road noise and weather sealing of the soft top. I'm an old guy and have come to value a quiet ride over most other attributes. But the few times I've removed the front top panels, I've really liked it. I understand that the soft top can have the front opened pretty quickly. Suddenly I'm considering reinstalling the soft top and hanging the hard top for a while.

So who can give me some feedback? Is the soft top really nice? Really awful?? Just as good/ bad as the hard top??? What factors am I not considering?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my soft top. I'm in Florida so cold weather isn't an issue. I run it all year round in multiple configurations. It's not really noisy..even with my 35's. I'm 52 and would never consider a hard top on my jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2375623991.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	568086  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was exactly in your boat a few weeks ago. Few months ago, picked up a 14 Sahara 4dr that came with dual tops, hard top and soft top. Initially, I thought I would remove the soft top and sell it as new, keeping only the hard top. I was happy that I could remove the front panels from the hard top and figured that would be more than enough for me. However I couldn't resist but at least try out the soft top so I installed it a few days ago for the first time and am really impressed with it. I decided to keep it and use it for the summers and hard top for colder seasons. I found the soft top surprisingly easy to retract, even easier of a task than removing the freedom hard tops. I would say at least give it a try before you decide to sell. You might be surprised.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

My 2010 Sahara Unlimited came with both and I use both too. I am in central Florida and prefer the hard top during the rainy season (June, July, August) except for beach trips. The warm springs, falls and mild winter are perfect weather to go topless.

I think the road noise is no worse with the soft top unless you run with the rear window rolled up. I have had no leaks with either even during monsoon season.

I'm better than prime also (59 and holding). I got a Harken Hoister that allows me to remove and install my hard top by myself in 15 minutes flat and stores it against the garage ceiling.
Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec

I put my soft top in the harken straps when not in use so it's out of the way too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUheHz-DuPg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00221-20101022-1137.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	568105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5205.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	568106  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

^^^This is the way to go.

I ordered my JKU with dual tops two years ago and figured I'd switch it out for the summers. The problem is that I don't have a garage and really no place to store the hardtop. I just sold my soft top two weeks ago bc it was such a PIA to change them out in my condo complex then lug it into my game room.

It's a great feeling having the top down with doors off. I loved it, and my next house will have a garage so I can enjoy it again. Having the hardtop on with doors off just isn't the same. I say put the soft top on for sure!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

if you have somewhere to store your hardtop then by all means use the soft top. i know i would have my hardtop off all summer if i had somewhere to park it and a soft top to keep the rain out. im thinking of setting up a hangman pole in my yard if my landlord will approve it, 11 foot high or so, L beamed out over the jeep with bolt plates to support, concrete footing, then run a manual hoist off it for pulling the top and lowering to down safely. would be alot easier with garage space.....
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

I originally had both tops on my first JK used both tops and liked it. When I bought my current one I received just a hard top figuring I would not miss my soft top. I was so wrong I really miss it and consider it the biggest mistake I made when purchasing my current Jeep. Keep it and use it if you like the fresh air it is so nice.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I also had both tops on my 2011. I would switch to soft top during warm months. I finally sold the hard top as I found not much difference between the two in terms of noise or the ability of the jeep to heat or cool the interior.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for all of your replies. Really, my biggest concern is storing the hardtop. When I moved back to CA I went from virtually unlimited indoor storage to a barely-2-car garage. I made myself a hoist system here for a camper shell a few years ago. I guess it's time to try to rig up something for the hard top now.

Looks like I now have a weekend project.

Tom.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The Jeep softtop is surprisingly taut and quiet. Jeep has been doing this long enough (actually Bestop, their supplier) that they know how to do a softtop right. I wouldn't call it as quiet as the hardtop, but I really like it, and in the past have used it on many cross country trips.

Quick Reply: Hard top or soft top?