Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

head light problems

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head light problems

Anyone here that can help?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

whats the problem?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not my thread but my problem with the headlights is that jeep put a horn and the power steering resivior right in the way of the plug you need to get to to change the globes.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadman75
Anyone here that can help?
Yes. There are many people here that can help.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-02-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

So off road man what seems to be your headlight woes.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Ok im not sure if its relays or a short but my headlights quit working. When u turn them on they come on them automatically go off. The tail lights and parking light stay on. The head lights will flash a time or two and just stay off. I used my winch the other day and after I did they worked until I turned them off and back on. Then they Wudnt work again.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

My electrician skills aren't too keen. First things I'd check would be the bulbs, then their housing. Then follow the wires back to the fuse box, the fuse might have blown, but left a small bridge connection.

It might be your column switch going out. Check the play in your other uses for the switch.

Other than that, sorry man. I'm sure one of these guys is an electrician.

Good kuck

Last edited by Delux2769; 06-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

So they turn on for a split second.
Then go off and don't come back on.
Lets eliminate the easy simple stuff first.
Have you turned them on properly using the stick twist switch?
Do they work on high beam?
May have somehow blown both low beams.
Are they working but very dim?
Could be bad connections behind the lights or at the battery.
Does your jeep struggle to start?
Could be a bad earth connection at the battery terminal or chassi or a bad battery.
have you checked the fuses.
It shouldn't be a blown fuse but check them anyway.
If fuses ok we move onto relays you will need to work out which relay it is. If you have another relay identical to the headlight relay swap them and see if it works if not buy another as it doesn't hurt to have spares if it isn't the problem.
You will hear it click when the lights are turned on. To do this get someone to flick the switch while your head is under the bonnet.(it will be alot easier to hear with the engine off)
Relay enguages but lights don't work? You will need a test light or dc volt meter or multi meter with a dc range.
Un plug the relay and set meter to volts dc.
Place one probe onto an exposed bolt or the battery nigative terminal
The relay base should have 4 slots.
1 fused but not switched hard positive that will always be on. Connect probe to negative battery terminal and poke other probe into slots untill you get 12 volts. If found hard pos is ok. If not it needs fixing
1 earthed negative return for the relay coil you can fond this by connecting the probe to the positive battery terminal and connecting to each slot in turn. When you get 12 volts that will be it. It is ok. if not your relay base earth is no good and will need fixing.
1 slot will be the switched pos that operates the relay. Turn the headlights on and connect probe to battery negative terminal you should now have 2 slots showing 12volts. If not you could have a bad connaction between the battery post and the stick twist switch, a bad twist switch, or a bad connection between the twist switch and the relay.
1 slot will connect the positive to the light(it will have no volts but will have a resistance to the body of your jeep as it passes through the headlight. After all other tests we may come back to this terminal.
So your connections are ok and relay is fine and battery is ok and battery terminals are clean and ok not burnt and its earthing connections are ok.
Next we will need to check the globes themselves and their earth and power connections. This is the crap bit. Remove the stupid horn that sits in the way and stick your hand down into the gap. Press each side of the headlight plug in and pull gently. It should come off.
Turn the headlights on and place 1 probe on exposed metal frame or bolt on jeep and the other in each socket.(you will need to have the relay plugged in).
On low beam you should get 12 volts from 1 slot. On high 12volts from 2.
If there are no volts at any slots check your earth probe is earthed properly and try again. If still no volts your switch wire is broken somewhere. If there is volts check your earth terminal on the plug (the 1 that had no volts earlier on) resistance to the frame. It should be less than 1 ohm. If higher or infinite check the connection to the frame. And clean or re attach.
If it is 1 ohm or less it's time to remove the rubber dust and moisture cap from behind the light and the wire clip. Remove globe and do not touch the glass with your fingers as it will leave oil on the glass causing it to blow next time you turn them on.
Take a look at the globe and compare it to a new one. If it looks like the fillament is intact (the little springs inside the globe) then it is probably ok but check between the terminals for resistance. If it is infinite then it's blown. Get new ones and upgrade at the same time.
If it has reasoable resistances then it's fine. Put it back in and test for headlight opperation. If it works then you had a bad connection in the plug. Get auto elec or stealership to replace it.
Try that and get back to me on how you went.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Can't find the relay for the headlights. When they are turned on they come on then off then about 5 seconds later the come on and off again.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bushmaster
It's not my thread but my problem with the headlights is that jeep put a horn and the power steering resivior right in the way of the plug you need to get to to change the globes.
The easiest way to do it is to remove the grill and go from there.

Quick Reply: head light problems