Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headrest retainer removal

Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest retainer removal

Just received my trek armor seat covers and working on the install. Viewed a couple YouTube vids and saw one where a guy was able to pull the retainer clips that go into the tops of the seats. This piece is the round ring piece that the poles of the head rests slide into... Does anyone know how to remove these from the seats? Trying to keep the install as clean as possible.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by str8edg
Just received my trek armor seat covers and working on the install. Viewed a couple YouTube vids and saw one where a guy was able to pull the retainer clips that go into the tops of the seats. This piece is the round ring piece that the poles of the head rests slide into... Does anyone know how to remove these from the seats? Trying to keep the install as clean as possible.

Thanks!
I pulled the first set when I did mine...and the second set I cut around. Cutting around is easier and looks just as good. Put the covers on with the trim ring still in place. Use your finger to find the center of the trim ring and cut a cross in there through the covers. Then extend the 4 ends of the cross by cutting towards the edges of the trim rings. Don't go all the way to the edge. Stop about 1/4" from the edge. Then slide one side over and tuck the cover under the trim ring. Pull the cover toward the opposite side and then tuck that side under the trim ring. This is how I did it and it came out perfect. YMMV.

Last edited by 14Sport; 12-18-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

When I did my Trek Armor covers I pulled the retainers out just like some of those videos show. There is a tab on the left side of each retainer. Basically use a small 6" flat blade screw driver to push it in and pull the retainer at the same time. It can take some effort, but they will come out. Once I had the covers on I made a cross incision over the holes in the seat, then heated up the screw driver with a blow torch to melt the fabric so it wouldn't fray. Then I just popped the retainers back in. It looks pretty good except for the fact that the retainers are gray and the seat covers are black.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08JKdrvr
When I did my Trek Armor covers I pulled the retainers out just like some of those videos show. There is a tab on the left side of each retainer. Basically use a small 6" flat blade screw driver to push it in and pull the retainer at the same time. It can take some effort, but they will come out. Once I had the covers on I made a cross incision over the holes in the seat, then heated up the screw driver with a blow torch to melt the fabric so it wouldn't fray. Then I just popped the retainers back in. It looks pretty good except for the fact that the retainers are gray and the seat covers are black.

X2, This is exactly what I did and it turned out great.

Quick Reply: Headrest retainer removal