Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Heat shield rattle

Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shield rattle

Not sure if this is the problem, had a buddy of mine ride with me and he said that he had the same noise come from his jeep he ripped off the heat shield and it fixed the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem and what the fix would be. Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Heat shield ratlle

Having same noise coming from front. Souinds like a heat shield ratlle---like thin metal. Mostly when first take off from stand still. Some when getting on it good. Doesn't last long--couple rattles then stops. Would like to know fix!!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

same thing with me... mine was the back heat shield over the exhaust... i may have a slight rattle on the header heat shield

does anyone think there would be any issues caused by removing this?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would think that the heat sheild over the manifold should stay in place, not sure about the one over the muffler
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My muffler heatshield was rattling. All I did was tighten the bolts that hold it up. Problem solved.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default I appreciate all the interest in my heat sheild rattle... more than the dealer gave!

I have tinkered quite a bit underneath trying to eliminate that annoying rattle; have yet to pinpoint the problem. What motivated me to send the original post was when I thumbed-up an 07 Rubicon driving by and my wife pointed out "He's got the same rattle as ours"
Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
front or rear? I have a rattling sound in the front also just can't pinpoint it.
I too have developed a rattle in the front at hwy speeds only. It also sounds like thin metal. It sounds as if its coming from under the front floor boards......
Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
I too have developed a rattle in the front at hwy speeds only. It also sounds like thin metal. It sounds as if its coming from under the front floor boards......
There is a long heat shield that runs under the driver side floorboard directly above your exhaust , check it.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
There is a long heat shield that runs under the driver side floorboard directly above your exhaust , check it.
I looked at it today and everything looked ok. The noise seems to be more on the passenger front side. I looked there also and nothing was loose or flapping. I don't know.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess I'm not the only one with that rattle, after all. Phew!

I've just been living with it as mine only occurs when on take off. Not sure how you fix it, though

Quick Reply: Heat shield rattle