Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heat shield rattle

Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got up under my jeep 20 times before i found the problem. had to start bangin around with a rubber malet. thats when I found the problem. the spot where the pipes go from 2 to 1 pipe, one pipe fits in the other pipe and the clamp around it just wasnt tight enough.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaIIbanger
my rattle sounds like it is right under me. it occurs when i'm bogged down....like when i start out in 2nd but should have started out in first... or cruising slowly in a parking lot in 2nd.

i had my jeep at the dealership for another minor repair (under warranty) and described my problem. here's a good one: they said it was the shift knob that was rattling, and they replaced it. yeah.... THAT helped. it was free under warranty, so i took the new knob... but wtf. that place is useless.
mine WAS doing the same thing till i tightened the clamp
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
front or rear? I have a rattling sound in the front also just can't pinpoint it.
My front heat shield came loose and it took weeks to figure it out. The dam dealer at 22 and pantano told me it was my fault because I changed the muffler I had to get under the jeep and have the wife rev it till I found it. (on a day she wasn't pissed at me) It was the front heat sheil on the drivers side end. I bought a big hose clamp put it around the shild and pipes..tightened her down and no more noise.....
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

So be it!!!
Rubber mallet in the attack tomorrow at first light................
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have pics of possible spots that may be causing the rattle?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChasJK
RescueX, mine has the same rattle. Dealership told me that my Heat shield needs to be rewelded to stop the rattle.. Just haven't got around to welding it...
DONT WORRY BOUT WELDING IT JUST GET A HOSE CLAMP OR TWO AND PUT IT AROUND IT. iM SURE THE WELDS WILL JUST BREAK AGAIN
Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thissideup
My front heat shield came loose and it took weeks to figure it out. The dam dealer at 22 and pantano told me it was my fault because I changed the muffler I had to get under the jeep and have the wife rev it till I found it. (on a day she wasn't pissed at me) It was the front heat sheil on the drivers side end. I bought a big hose clamp put it around the shild and pipes..tightened her down and no more noise.....

Same thing here... It was a hair-line crack in the weld holding the heat-shield to an exhaust pipe. I couldn't believe a barley noticeable crack could make so much noise. Clamped it down,,, noise gone!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

same rattle here ... checking the shields mentioned and looks like its coming from the front
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edstroyer
Same thing here... It was a hair-line crack in the weld holding the heat-shield to an exhaust pipe. I couldn't believe a barley noticeable crack could make so much noise. Clamped it down,,, noise gone!
No Sh%t, I though something was wrong with my tranny. One itty bitty weld on the cross over pipe heat shield. Screwdriver fixed it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow I'm not alone!

I'm going to try one of your fixes as running with the top down and the stereo up really hasn't fixed anything!

Quick Reply: Heat shield rattle