Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corrosion under paint on door hinges

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion under paint on door hinges

So I just got a 2007 JK 4-door last week and after detailing it I noticed what looked like corrosion under the paint on both of the front passenger door hinges, and the hinge on the hood closet to the drivers side.

It this an issue that is common with the 2007 JK's? If so what steps do I need to take to get these replaced? My jeep has 2 years left on the warranty and only has 7200 miles on it.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2007 Sahara has the same problem.... very common. Apparently, the hinges are aluminum, while (obviously) the door and body panels are steel. Everyone around the marine environment knows the flaw in that design. Some dealers may fix it. Others will not. Personally, mine is not progressing fast, so I'll probably leave it. When it does need replaced, I think I'll correct the dis-similar metal issue, which is the root of the problem.

Perhaps if the hinges were better primed, perhaps this would not be going on.. but it is.

Another option, I've seen some black covers for the hinges... That, or new hinges may be the solution. I just hate to have a dealer tear into the paint. They're more likely to screw up the paint match, than get it right.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the same thing on my '07, but I don't think it's a model year thing... from what I've read on here, it's just a JK thing... The solution I personally like best is bedlined door hinges, although I haven't gotten around to doing it myself...

Also, I was thinking about this problem the other day (right after performing the drilled mirror mod)... I wonder if the hinge rust is somehow a result of the slow-leaking mirror that the small drain hole fixes? Does anyone who drilled the mirrors as soon as the bought there brand new JK have this under-paint corrosion problem? My JK, like the OP's, was just bought used, so it's been mirror-leaking for a couple years. Any thoughts?

Edit: I missed the OP's comment about the hinge on his hood with the same problem (mine doesn't have this issue), which would I suppose indicate that it is not a result of the leaky mirrors and perhaps is just a result of the aluminum hinges and lack of priming.

Last edited by btb01; 04-20-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drilled my mirrors just after purchasing my 07 new in Jan 07. That has not prevented the hinge bubbles...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rlabbott
I drilled my mirrors just after purchasing my 07 new in Jan 07. That has not prevented the hinge bubbles...
well there you go...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also drilled the mirrors shortly after purchase and have bubbles showing on the hinges. What I find odd is that its always the front hinges. Has anyone had it happen on the rear hinges? I plan to bedine or powdercoat when I get a chance.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer took care of it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Junkie

All four of my hinges have this problem....will bedline them when I make time.....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sciguy6
My dealer took care of it.
Was yours purchased New or used. I am wondering if my dealer will also cover it but I purchased mine as a "Brand Spanking Used" Certified Used Car.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyJK
Was yours purchased New or used. I am wondering if my dealer will also cover it but I purchased mine as a "Brand Spanking Used" Certified Used Car.
if your within your corrosion terms, they should cover it.

Personally, im going to powdercoat mine black when and if it ever becomes a problem for me.

Quick Reply: Corrosion under paint on door hinges