Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heater help!!

Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepgirljones

Thanks! I'm assuming it should be warranty, but when I took it to my local dealer they didn't seem to really know what to do. I definitely need my heat to work though, if not to keep warm, to keep my pack of dogs from fogging up my windows till I can't see anything! Thanks

Go to any dealer in USA canada or anywhere else in the world. The dealer you bought from is an idiot .you do not need to use the place you got it from to get service. The dealers are the mud worms of a huge team. You can go anywhere you want for warranty or any other dealer
services.
As far as the steaming windows with you and dogs.
OPEN A FEW WINDOWS A BIT WHILE YOU DRIVE.
kills me when I see a van full of people with the only steamed up windows out of a thousand other vehicles on the road.The windows are always shut to keep the breathing and body moisture inside. Add steaming coffee cups. DUH
Not duh to you. In the case of 6 people in a vehicle that don't ask for fresh air yes.
Always drive with at least 1 window cracked open a bit. The passengers may forget to thank you but will be comfortable.
The heater problem is not a problem for people that know their job.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 12-07-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Go to any dealer in USA canada or anywhere else in the world. The dealer you bought from is an idiot .you do not need to use the place you got it from to get service. The dealers are the mud worms of a huge team. You can go anywhere you want for warranty or any other dealer services. As far as the steaming windows with you and dogs. OPEN A FEW WINDOWS A BIT WHILE YOU DRIVE. kills me when I see a van full of people with the only steamed up windows out of a thousand other vehicles on the road.The windows are always shut to keep the breathing and body moisture inside. Add steaming coffee cups. DUH Not duh to you. In the case of 6 people in a vehicle that don't ask for fresh air yes. Always drive with at least 1 window cracked open a bit. The passengers may forget to thank you but will be comfortable. The heater problem is not a problem for people that know their job.
Yeah I was driving with both my windows open / cracked to help. And I also know I can take it to any dealer. There are two jeep dealers where I live, the one I bought the jeep at (horrible idiots and I would NEVER service my vehicle there and everyday I'm mad that I bought it there) and then there's the awesome dealership that I buy parts and service my vehicle at.

Anyways, brought my jeep back in today and wiggled some wires / plug things behind the glove compartment and banged on something and voila! Heat blows. So no more foggy windows and cold drives! Thanks for your guys' help.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepgirljones
Yeah I was driving with both my windows open / cracked to help. And I also know I can take it to any dealer. There are two jeep dealers where I live, the one I bought the jeep at (horrible idiots and I would NEVER service my vehicle there and everyday I'm mad that I bought it there) and then there's the awesome dealership that I buy parts and service my vehicle at.

Anyways, brought my jeep back in today and wiggled some wires / plug things behind the glove compartment and banged on something and voila! Heat blows. So no more foggy windows and cold drives! Thanks for your guys' help.
Glad you were able to get it working. Sounds like you have a blower resistor issue. The part new is around $25.00 and an easy dyi.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

For those of you having trouble with these various fixes of heating problems, you may get a better idea of these different doors and actuators discussed by searching for "Jeep Heat" on YOUTUBE. I watched them all today, and it's much easier to understand now. Even though the titles may sound the same, the YOUTUBES are mostly on different areas to check - and I learned something new from each and every one. Being able to SEE thie various parts and areas made for time well spent.

I recently bought a digital meat thermometer on Ebay for around $2.50, shipped. It works well, records minimum and maximum temps, and works in air temps too. Now,you can rely on more than just feel. I was sure my dash registers were giving less heat this year, and here's a cheap way to test.

NOW, for my big news! I followed one tip I picked up - drive (second gear for me!) a couple of miles at 4000 RPM. It made a difference, and my dash ducts now measure at 170 degrees - and that seems plenty hot to me. This was measured with my expensive infrared tester - not the cheap Ebay one.

I have one question. In JK's without cabin filters, what are the chances the heat exchanger can become clogged with dust and debris? Is there a way to reach it to clean or blow it out?

Last edited by webhannet; 12-09-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: grammar - what else?
Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

@webhannet I would tend to agree that thevheatvexhanger will,cpget clogged as I put in the cabin filter and have to change it often as it gets clogged and the blower will still be on high but the airflow out the vents is decreased. I change mine at least 1 time everyb4 months. Incet them on Amazon at a fraction of the cost of the dealership.

Ed
Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grumpytech
Well, here's a hell of a first post.... I created a login just for you I'm a Mopar tech at a dealer in GA. Stick a flashlight against the bottom of your coolant overflow bottle. If it looks like it's full of mud or sand maybe an inch deep, you'll need a heater core and a radiator. I've done a dozen of them in the last 2 years. If you're still under 3/36 basic warranty, get it to a dealer sooner rather than later. There are SB on this. Apparently the foundry had a booboo when casting 3.6 for JKs and 2.4 for JS (200 & Avenger). They didn't clean out all the casting sand, and it circulated out stopping up the tight passages of the heat exchangers. And, no, it will not flush out, this crap is tenacious. The other poster who said he had heat on one side but was cooler on the other, that is usually the first and only complaint.
Hello mr grumpy tech... Is this resolved or ongoing with current model years?
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Hello mr grumpy tech... Is this resolved or ongoing with current model years?
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a '12 and the heat is cold only on the passenger side, a cousin of mine has a '14 and is having the same issue. I didn't notice gunk in the bottom of my coolant tank, so I will be hoping it's just the actuator door on the drivers side that is not moving.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Here's my experience with the issue of no heat on the driver's side. My wife has a 2013 Wrangler unlimited, nothing fancy, about 55,000 miles on it so not under warranty. She complained of not having heat on the driver's side last week but the passenger side was blowing hot. My first thought was the blend door actuator because my logical side said it couldn't be the heater core. If it was, there would be no heat. I did go out and stick a rod down in the reservoir and came up with gunk on it (not a good sign.) So after doing some online research (what in the h*ll did we do before the internet and google?) I found the location of the blend door actuator on the driver's side. To my knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong, there are 2 actuators, one that you can access through the glove box opening and the one on the driver's side, next to the tunnel. It seemed hopeless until I stumbled across some guy that changed it without removing the dash. Note: you had better have hands on the smaller side and be flexible. It took me about 2 hours but I did get it changed. Quick note is to check and see if it is working first before attempting this. I took pictures if anyone is interested. This had no effect so today I decided on a complete flush of everything. I drained the radiator then proceeded to unhook the heater hoses and flush those out. Then I flushed the radiator, unhooked those hoses and flushed everything again. Took me about an hour to make me satisfied I got everything flushed out. I then rehooked everything up, filled with water and let it run for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and did the whole procedure again with the addition of a system cleaner my wife got from here place of work (she works at a CAT dealership and the guys gave her this cleaning agent that you put in with water after a flush.) Ran the jeep again for about 25 minutes this time. Pulled everything off and flushed again. I also pulled the thermostat off just to make sure it was OK. I refilled with water and ran again for another 20 minutes or so. Shut it off and drained and flushed again. Then I refilled with antifreeze. I used Prestone extended life antifreeze as the replacement as I was confident I cleaned the system good. Made sure everything was fastened good, let it run for about 15 minutes. I squeeze the upper right hose to help get air out of the lines. Took it for a spin and with trepidation hit the heater and put it out the vents. Lo and behold heat on driver's side too. Amazed my logical mind actually. I hope it lasts. I took a few pictures of this as well. I took the initial drain bucket that had the HOAT (yes, it was definitely orange) and slowly poured it into another bucket. Gunk in the bottom of it too from just sitting there. My experience. Good luck folks.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would love to see pics of the actuator replacement if you still have them 👍🏼

Originally Posted by wvhiker
Here's my experience with the issue of no heat on the driver's side. My wife has a 2013 Wrangler unlimited, nothing fancy, about 55,000 miles on it so not under warranty. She complained of not having heat on the driver's side last week but the passenger side was blowing hot. My first thought was the blend door actuator because my logical side said it couldn't be the heater core. If it was, there would be no heat. I did go out and stick a rod down in the reservoir and came up with gunk on it (not a good sign.) So after doing some online research (what in the h*ll did we do before the internet and google?) I found the location of the blend door actuator on the driver's side. To my knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong, there are 2 actuators, one that you can access through the glove box opening and the one on the driver's side, next to the tunnel. It seemed hopeless until I stumbled across some guy that changed it without removing the dash. Note: you had better have hands on the smaller side and be flexible. It took me about 2 hours but I did get it changed. Quick note is to check and see if it is working first before attempting this. I took pictures if anyone is interested. This had no effect so today I decided on a complete flush of everything. I drained the radiator then proceeded to unhook the heater hoses and flush those out. Then I flushed the radiator, unhooked those hoses and flushed everything again. Took me about an hour to make me satisfied I got everything flushed out. I then rehooked everything up, filled with water and let it run for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and did the whole procedure again with the addition of a system cleaner my wife got from here place of work (she works at a CAT dealership and the guys gave her this cleaning agent that you put in with water after a flush.) Ran the jeep again for about 25 minutes this time. Pulled everything off and flushed again. I also pulled the thermostat off just to make sure it was OK. I refilled with water and ran again for another 20 minutes or so. Shut it off and drained and flushed again. Then I refilled with antifreeze. I used Prestone extended life antifreeze as the replacement as I was confident I cleaned the system good. Made sure everything was fastened good, let it run for about 15 minutes. I squeeze the upper right hose to help get air out of the lines. Took it for a spin and with trepidation hit the heater and put it out the vents. Lo and behold heat on driver's side too. Amazed my logical mind actually. I hope it lasts. I took a few pictures of this as well. I took the initial drain bucket that had the HOAT (yes, it was definitely orange) and slowly poured it into another bucket. Gunk in the bottom of it too from just sitting there. My experience. Good luck folks.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wvhiker
Yes, second that. Would be interested to see the pics from your fix. Seeing this issue on a 13' JKU and hoping to find alternative options to the 1800 dollar shop fix that some have experienced.

Quick Reply: Heater help!!