Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help deciding shade choices

Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding shade choices

Bestop 52401-11 mesh fabric safari-style bikini top

Or

Spiderweb shade SW1 JK-4D top

Don't really care about the price; just any pros or cons you can share. Tired of burning my bald head, too hot for a hat and I hate sunblock.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been going through the same thing. I think I've decided to go with the Bestop. From what I've seen (if I'm wrong please correct me) the Bestop can be used under a soft or hard top without removing it, and I think the spiderweb can't. I'm also not crazy about the way the spiderweb one mounts using those spider balls or what ever they are called. I just want one for the front portion as I run either the factory hard top or a Trektop NX and want to be able to use the sun rider features without cooking.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I came to the same conclusion and ordered the Bestop one. I didn't want to take off my door surrounds to install the Spidershade. It should arrive Wednesday; I'll post pics or answer any questions afterwards if it helps.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Spiderweb Shade is literally in the mail to me right now. (I'll write-up that experience when I finally get it.) You made me second guess my decision for a second, so I hit up their website. On the front page, it says that it never needs to be removed. So, that being said I've heard nothing but positive things.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

I just received my spiderweb shade this Saturday and it's awesome! The spiderball things that it mounts with are easy as pie to attach. No need to remove any door surrounds or anything. I have a 2014 JKU with the premium soft top and I have the top up right now with the shade still up. No issues and no need to take it off.
I'm extremely impressed with how much heat it cuts out. With the top off its considerably cooler inside then with the top fully up.
I have no experience with the bestie sunshade and although I've only had the spiderweb shade for a few days, I'd definitely recommend it.
Easy to instal and no need to ever remove it. And if you do decide to take it off, all it takes is removing a few bungee balls.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you install the spiderweb shade with the door surrounds still in? I watched an install video from Spiderweb that said the surround go on top of the bungees after the shade is installed. Just curious at this point.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

It just goes around the roll bar.
You loop it around the roll bar then hook it on the ball.
I can provide photos once it stops raining so it makes more sense.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a spider web and a bestop bikini top on my 08 X. The spiderweb attaches to the roll bars and it's easier to put on it you take the door surrounds off but you don't need to.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

maybe I misunderstand what it means when in the spiderweb instructions it says you have to remove the front and roll it up. So what do you actually have to do to the shade in order to put the sun rider section back in place? I know on the Bestop you have to unsnap a strap and fold back the first few inches of the shade, but there are a set of snaps that line up and you can just keep it right there. Is the spiderweb shade similar? At this point I just want one or the other and am just trying to find one that is the least hassle. They are roughly the same price, and I do like that you can get different colors with the spiderweb version.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Rain won't let up so no pictures yet.
But to answer your question, you don't have to roll back anything to put the soft top forward and latch it shut.
The 2 hooks that your softop latches too will have the these very short/small "spiderballs" which are just the bungee strap with the ball. All you need to do is un-hook those 2 and your top goes on like normal.
No need to even remove the "spiderballs" I just have mine hanging loose up there and they are not in the way at all.

If this didn't answer your question let me!

Quick Reply: Help deciding shade choices