Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP! Engine Light - Misfire

Old 09-23-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Engine Light - Misfire

My engine light came on a couple weeks ago. I had it checked and they said it was a misfire on cylindar 6 due to ignition coil. I bought a new ignition coil and replaced it and since i had to remove the intake alreaey, i went ahead and changed the plugs as well. when i hooked the battery back up and started the engine, the light was off. Boom...fixed...until about 4 days later the ilght came back on. i figured it was a gas cap or some other emissions leak but when i ha it checked again it was "Misfire cylindar 6". I told them i had replace the coil and they asked if i had the code cleared. I told them i didn't and they said it was probably just stored and left over from previous and they cleared the code. Boom...fixed again...until 2 days ago it came back on. I'm assuming same problem. i have noticed that when i'm idling that i feel the engine sort "rocking"...don't know how else to describe it. Jeep is a 2012 JKU with about 64,000 miles on it. any suggestions or help on what to look at next would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Guess I'd try some new wires.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Isn't this a classic case of a 2012 with a bad head?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Isn't this a classic case of a 2012 with a bad head?
i was wondering that but everything i found said that was "misfire on cylindar #2"...not sure if that matters but that was what i found everywhere.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Guess I'd try some new wires.
there aren't any plug wires...there is a rubber boot built into each individual coil that plugs onto spark plug.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Woody208
i was wondering that but everything i found said that was "misfire on cylindar #2"...not sure if that matters but that was what i found everywhere.
I did a quick google search for pentastar cylinder 6 misfire and found some people with the bad head had that problem.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody208
The TSB that deals with the bad head says it could be cylinders 2, 4, 6, or any combination thereof.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The TSB that deals with the bad head says it could be cylinders 2, 4, 6, or any combination thereof.

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I did a quick google search for pentastar cylinder 6 misfire and found some people with the bad head had that problem.
Thanks for the info guys. I guess its a call to the dealership then.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Would be great if you follow up once you get the diagnosis. My 2012 has been fine and is about to cross 79,000 miles soon.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Following up on this, I took the jeep in to the local dealer in town (Lucas Smith Dodge) on Tuesday. They confirmed that it was the cylinder head issue and replaced it. I dropped it off on Tuesday and i'm picking it back up tomorrow. They couldn't have been better or easier to deal with on this issue. I don't know if it really made any difference but when i called the dealership, i did mention to them that i found online where Chrysler had extended the warranty for left bank misfires...it may not have made any difference but they asked for the last 8 digits of the VIN and when i told them, they confirmed that it would be covered under the extended warranty.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Light - Misfire