Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Rear locker won't disengage.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, mines been sticking from day one and only got worse over time to the point where it simply wouldn't disengage at all. Twice I had to drive all the way home from a trail run with them locked, pop open the diff cover and then disengage it by hand - not fun. I finally took it to the dealer to have them look at it but couldn't figure it out and ended up telling me that my new gear install was responsible for the problem. Funny thing is, things actually got better for a little bit after the dealer gave it a once over but on my last trail run up Miller Jeep Trail, the whole thing took a dump. Need I say, I'll be going back to the dealer to see what my options are. :sad:
Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to hear about the problems with the lockers. Didn't the previous Rubicon have a problem as well? Hope this isn't going to be a trend. Kinda glad I held out and will probably go the ARB route. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Well, mines been sticking from day one and only got worse over time to the point where it simply wouldn't disengage at all. Twice I had to drive all the way home from a trail run with them locked, pop open the diff cover and then disengage it by hand - not fun. I finally took it to the dealer to have them look at it but couldn't figure it out and ended up telling me that my new gear install was responsible for the problem. Funny thing is, things actually got better for a little bit after the dealer gave it a once over but on my last trail run up Miller Jeep Trail, the whole thing took a dump. Need I say, I'll be going back to the dealer to see what my options are. :sad:
Man that sucks bro! I absolutley HATE being without my Jeep. Maybe it is your sensor as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had trouble getting mine to unlock (blinking) I still have the stock gears.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepn0811
Sucks to hear about the problems with the lockers. Didn't the previous Rubicon have a problem as well? Hope this isn't going to be a trend. Kinda glad I held out and will probably go the ARB route. Good luck!
Yep, the 03-06 Rubicon air lockers sucked and it looks like the new JK e-lockers do as well.

Originally Posted by bleblanc
Man that sucks bro! I absolutley HATE being without my Jeep. Maybe it is your sensor as well.
Naw, it definitely ain't the sensor. I watched the install myself and know it was done right. Also, when on the trail, you could hear loud clunking coming from the diff when the locker was engaged. I took the diff cover off yesterday and tested things out and something clearly is broken.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

The button is a toggle switch. Push on the upper portion of the switch.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

I took the diff cover off yesterday and tested things out and something clearly is broken.

Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm....I think Ill just spool my rear.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
JK Super Freak

lol, glad to see I wasn't the only one with this problem.

When I got my gears installed, the rear locker refused to disengage. You could engage it and it would work fine, but when you tried to disengage it the dash light would flash, and the locker wouldn't disengage. The electrics were working properly (magnet was de-energized) but the locker "plate" wouldn't return to the disengaged position. The shop that installed my gears kept my Jeep for almost 2 weeks trying to figure out what the problem was. They completely disassembled the rear end looking for the problem. They finally got something faxed to them from some Jeep engineer (blow up diagrams and description of the complete e-locker setup.) After that they took it to their machinist. I was told there was something in there that had a chaffed area on it that was keeping the locker plate from disengaging properly. They smoothed it out and it has been working fine since then.

I'll try to get more details. I thought mine was an isolated case...I guess not. The shop was about ready to buy me a new rear end before they figured it out.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

More details, PLEASE!!

Quick Reply: Help! Rear locker won't disengage.