Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP replacing rotors and black magic pads , can't get caliper off ?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP replacing rotors and black magic pads , can't get caliper off ?

So im excited to try my new Black Magic pads / centric rotors . Ive replaced the pads before but this time will be the first changing rotors. Normally i just loosen the (2) 1/2 inch bolts and boom , pads slide right off but in this case the rotors won't come off , so I'm assuming I have to loosen the other 2 bigger caliper bolts that are 22MM . Well I went to do that but I can't get them to turn for the life of me. PB blaster nothing ....
1st are these the correct bolts , 2nd any advice that can help me . Pretty bummed , because I wanted to knock this out today since i have nothing going on and these pads need a whole day to cool down according to the instructions
Old 04-29-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaznad
So im excited to try my new Black Magic pads / centric rotors . Ive replaced the pads before but this time will be the first changing rotors. Normally i just loosen the (2) 1/2 inch bolts and boom , pads slide right off but in this case the rotors won't come off , so I'm assuming I have to loosen the other 2 bigger caliper bolts that are 22MM . Well I went to do that but I can't get them to turn for the life of me. PB blaster nothing .... 1st are these the correct bolts , 2nd any advice that can help me . Pretty bummed , because I wanted to knock this out today since i have nothing going on and these pads need a whole day to cool down according to the instructions
Calipers should be a 21mm.

The rotors have retaining clips on them for keeping them in place while running down the assembly line. The pads should just fall right out after removing the caliper. They are torqued nearly 100 ft/lbs. from the factory, get out the impact and turn the knuckle for access. If that doesn't do it something is seized up.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

You just need more oomph. Breaker bar with a cheater is best.

I use the extension bar from my floor jack as my cheater bar.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front are 21 rear are 18. Put your big boy pants on and go back out with another wrench as a cheater bar and turn it to the right as you're facing it, that would be the left if you were the motor looking out.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

The caliper bracket bolts are tight....i think they are torqued to 110 ft lbs and thread locker from the factory. Need to use a long handled ratchet or a breaker bar.

I'd love to hear how the pads and new rotors work out for you.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

so update , just took a breaker bar to it , literally got in the wheel well and put my whole body on it and kept cranking , and jumping on it for 20 min until the socket cracked ( husky socket ) , keep in mind I'm a big boy at 6'4, 240lbs so i know I'm putting some force in it , i was able to break open the bottom bolt but the top won't budge for the life of me put everything back on , gonna go pick up a dewalt cordless impact gun from HD I've been eyeing that claims if has 400lbs of torque , not sure what other options i have left . Don't wanna buy air tools and I don't want to take it to a shop

DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. High Torque Impact Wrench with Detent Pin (Tool-Only)-DCF889B - The Home Depot
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

I've removed the calipers on several JK's and what i always did was get a closed end wrench and put on the bold and took a rubber mallet and beat on the end of the wrench and it came loose. I'm wondering if the bolts are particularly rusty on your jeep? I'd assume based on previous posts that using a big ass breaker bar would do the trick but sometimes a bunch of quick hits with a mallet or sledge hammer on the wrench might to the trick. I'm also surprised that after soaking those bolts in PB Blaster they haven't broke loose yet. Good Luck.

Last edited by TX_JK; 04-29-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaznad
so update , just took a breaker bar to it , literally got in the wheel well and put my whole body on it and kept cranking , and jumping on it for 20 min until the socket cracked ( husky socket ) , keep in mind I'm a big boy at 6'4, 240lbs so i know I'm putting some force in it , i was able to break open the bottom bolt but the top won't budge for the life of me put everything back on , gonna go pick up a dewalt cordless impact gun from HD I've been eyeing that claims if has 400lbs of torque , not sure what other options i have left . Don't wanna buy air tools and I don't want to take it to a shop DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. High Torque Impact Wrench with Detent Pin (Tool-Only)-DCF889B - The Home Depot
You're wasting your time with that. You probably put twice the break-free torque that things capable of.. Pb blaster sucks. I've had better luck with liquid wrench, but even better than anything is stuff called Kroil. It's the antidote for god's dried jizz.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You're wasting your time with that. You probably put twice the break-free torque that things capable of.. Pb blaster sucks. I've had better luck with liquid wrench, but even better than anything is stuff called Kroil. It's the antidote for god's dried jizz.
Kroil is some crazy stuff, it's like living oil. Definitely use that stuff if you can find some.

Also after spraying down and letting it soak, tapping lightly with a hammer will free up stubborn fasteners.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_JK
I've removed the calipers on several JK's and what i always did was get a closed end wrench and put on the bold and took a rubber mallet and beat on the end of the wrench and it came loose.
Closed end wrench with a cheater pipe was what worked for me. I did the Mopar BBK install last fall and had no problem getting my Caliper bolts off.

Quick Reply: HELP replacing rotors and black magic pads , can't get caliper off ?