Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP replacing rotors and black magic pads , can't get caliper off ?

Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Definitely don't waste your time/money with that. Especially with one that has a battery. If that bolt is being that stubborn, you're going to drain that battery in no time and just wasted $160 to find that out. A closed end wrench with a bar over it, will provide more torque than that. You only want that, if you're working in an area with tight space and don't have enough room for a wrench, which is not the case with the Caliper bolts.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Definitely don't waste your time/money with that. Especially with one that has a battery. If that bolt is being that stubborn, you're going to drain that battery in no time and just wasted $160 to find that out. A closed end wrench with a bar over it, will provide more torque than that. You only want that, if you're working in an area with tight space and don't have enough room for a wrench, which is not the case with the Caliper bolts.
Agreed in relation to the Dewalt but has anyone seen the Milwaukee 1/2 fuel impact? My mouth waters everytime I see it. 1,100 lbs of breaking torque. That's a bad motha sucky.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2763-22
Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Agreed in relation to the Dewalt but has anyone seen the Milwaukee 1/2 fuel impact? My mouth waters everytime I see it. 1,100 lbs of breaking torque. That's a bad motha sucky. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2763-22
Dude I got one off Craig's for 400 with 3 batteries last month.

It is a bad little impact. Only thing I can say is the extra batteries are pricey, but I have two snap on cordless impacts as well, it's all relative.

I also keep a craftsman cordless in the jeep at all times, that is a bad little gun too for under 200.

Last edited by sa29560; 05-01-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
Dude I got one off Craig's for 400 with 3 batteries last month. It is a bad little impact. Only thing I can say is the extra batteries are pricey, but I have two snap on cordless impacts as well, it's all relative. I also keep a craftsman cordless in the jeep at all times, that is a bad little gun too for under 200.
That's awesome. I only have a ryobi cordless impact. It's pretty much a piece of shit, but I use pneumatic in the garage anyway. I've heard the Milwaukee is a lot better than the snap on, would you agree? All my drills are Milwaukee, my dads always had them so I guess I'm pretty bias towards them, lol.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I guess I'm just of the opinion that if you're not buying an impact wrench for mobile purposes, then why waste the money, and just go with a corded version that you won't be needing to replace/recharge batteries?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should hit it with a torch? and then the breaker bar with cheater bar
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
That's awesome. I only have a ryobi cordless impact. It's pretty much a piece of shit, but I use pneumatic in the garage anyway. I've heard the Milwaukee is a lot better than the snap on, would you agree? All my drills are Milwaukee, my dads always had them so I guess I'm pretty bias towards them, lol.
I prefer all of them for their mobility. This fuel sob is bad though.

This time of year, tractor suspension parts are coming in a lot. Having the ability to bust them off quickly and get new parts on without running anything but an impact and a wrench is outstanding.

According to other guys in the shop, I should have bought a Milwaukee 3/4 a long time ago.

Sadly, being able to do payments, in most things including large heavy boxes to keep it all in, its easy to get other add ins of course.

Hardly paying for them is just as good as being able to take em wheeling just in case.

I know if anyone, chuck knows the bottom of his jk like, . . . Well you get the point.

These impacts don't work everywhere on the jk but I know where it won't! Knowing what it will take to use it is the key! Like I said I like to have one in case I get a flat tire!

Call it what you will but I'm not breaking my back. I keep a huge harbor freight crow bar in the back to lift that mug tire onto the hub like cake pieces.

To the op sorry to hijack, but I've never had an issue with those to that level at 40k intervals on brakes. Two times now I've done them without issues. Even the unit bearings are easy, just my experiences. I pretty much will only roll hose for an air hammer or a good Brad/staple gun.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

4foot pipe over a open end , it has to give eventually if the wrench snaps you have to take it to some one with a torch id imagine. Some times you just have to pay someone

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-04-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP replacing rotors and black magic pads , can't get caliper off ?