Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help with Shocks and Springs on my JK

Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Shocks and Springs on my JK

Good Morning Fellow Jeepers,
I am not trying to bring up an old beat up topic here but want to hear from someone who has actually done the swap and can talk about the results. On all the threads around the Jeep community I keep reading different opinions.
Heres the challenge Im facing. I have a 2012 JK 2 door Sport S with Hard top. IT has 7,800 miles on it. It is my daily driver and Im not looking to lift it or put bigger tires on it until I decide to make it a weekend toy in a couple of years. It is basically stock minus the 2014 Rubi wheels with BFG mudders on it. When I bought the wheels and tires I was also given the springs and shocks off of the 2014 JKUR with MAX tow. (with less than 200 miles on parts)
Current springs on the front are 14 and 15s and the rears are 56 and 57s when I hit the brakes firmly ( happens here in phoenix more often than not) above 40 MPH the front of my jeep drops a good 2 to 3+ inches and feels like its riding on marsmallows. I am considering putting the other springs and shocks on. Thier numbers are 19 for both front springs and 60 for both back springs. I know this will stiffen the ride up but Im wanting to hear from someone who has actually done this and what they thought of the results. Thank you and im sorry if I put this in the wrong spot its my first post.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the common concensus is that you'll gain maybe 1/4" for every number you go up. My best guess is that is you swap in both sets you'll end up with a more level stance..front lifted nearly 2" and rear around 1" (a little less in front if you have aftermarket bumper and/or winch).

For reference here is mine...swapped 14s in front for 17s along with 1" spacer (have winch and bumper)...swapped 54s in rear for 59s. The above "formula" proved to be just about spot on for me. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	568144  
Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I think the common concensus is that you'll gain maybe 1/4" for every number you go up. My best guess is that is you swap in both sets you'll end up with a more level stance..front lifted nearly 2" and rear around 1" (a little less in front if you have aftermarket bumper and/or winch).

For reference here is mine...swapped 14s in front for 17s along with 1" spacer (have winch and bumper)...swapped 54s in rear for 59s. The above "formula" proved to be just about spot on for me. Hope this helps.
looks good. How much stiffer did the ride get for you? Im debating on doing the shocks first then possibly the springs. I know Im going to be adding a tow hitch eventually and will want the beefier springs in the rear for sure. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To be honest, I didn't notice a big difference in ride. That being said, I think the rubi shocks are better at soaking up impacts. The only thing that was a noticeable difference for me was adding the winch. I could definitely feel it was there at first, now I don't notice. A more level stance should help with the "nose dive" as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lowendrider
To be honest, I didn't notice a big difference in ride. That being said, I think the rubi shocks are better at soaking up impacts. The only thing that was a noticeable difference for me was adding the winch. I could definitely feel it was there at first, now I don't notice. A more level stance should help with the "nose dive" as well.
Awesome I really appreciate your feedback. I think Ill just go for it. As I mod out the Jeep Im going to be adding weight so the stiffer springs will help.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

i went fom 17/58 to 19/60's with a 125 front end spacer. i picked up 1.5 to 2 iches of lift. i also tossed on some rubi take off shocks. I rode it this way for a year. the ride was harsh..i would drive down the road avoiding seams and manhole covers and i had death wobble in certain situations it was really getting me down.

but i just put on some ranch 9000 xls and now it drives like a dream. death wobble gone. fear of seams, gone. I fly through wash boards and never loose contact with the earth. i could not be happier.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

ps i have the 17/58 springs still, pm me if you want to buy them (cheap)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

I did the spring swap on my 2 door sport. I went from 14 in front to 19 and 54 in back to 59. I also added a spacer lift at the same time so I ended up netting 3" of height. So I would say with just the springs, I gained about 1.5" I also changed out my shocks for the rubicon(red) ones. I am no mechanics or anything but I could not tell a huge difference in ride. Its a bit stiffer but nothing to complain about. I also had to address a few extra things with the additional height I gained but now everything rides real good. I think the new tires are what changed the feel of my ride more than the springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	568146
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shredd_guy
ps i have the 17/58 springs still, pm me if you want to buy them (cheap)
allready got the springs ..but thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by flyerfan033
I did the spring swap on my 2 door sport. I went from 14 in front to 19 and 54 in back to 59. I also added a spacer lift at the same time so I ended up netting 3" of height. So I would say with just the springs, I gained about 1.5" I also changed out my shocks for the rubicon(red) ones. I am no mechanics or anything but I could not tell a huge difference in ride. Its a bit stiffer but nothing to complain about. I also had to address a few extra things with the additional height I gained but now everything rides real good. I think the new tires are what changed the feel of my ride more than the springs.

Attachment 568146
awesome thank you for the reply. What did you have to address with the extra height?

Quick Reply: Help with Shocks and Springs on my JK