Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hinge Bushing Replacement

Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge Bushing Replacement

I took the doors off my 2010 sport for the first time (by me, hard to tell if the previous owners had ever taken them off...) and noticed that the hinge bushings were basically down to the metal with only a bit of tattered Teflon left. I've already ordered delron replacements, but my question is what should I do to treat the bare metal under where the lip of the bushing sits? Should I do any treatment to the areas that appear to be worn from metal/metal contact? I have touch up paint to fix a few rock chips.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I meant Delrin replacements but my phone thought different....
Old 09-10-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would just clean it up good with wd40 and put the new delrin bushings on. BTW - the delrins are great.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks- I cleaned the pins and the inside of the hinges last night after removing the old bushings. Still debating whether to paint the chipped paint at the top of the hinge or not. It looks like the original bushing was installed pre-paint, and was somewhat painted over. Now that it is removed there is exposed unpainted metal on the top of the hinge.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess you could paint it just to be safe. I would clean it really well so the paint adheres well.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Delrin

Originally Posted by ortho004
Sorry, I meant Delrin replacements but my phone thought different....
I am running into the same issue. Where did you purchase the Delrins? Is it a liner or the entire bushing being replaced?
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did mine I just popped out the old ones and tapped in the new ones. The top of the new delrins have a lip on them which covers the top of the hinge. I didn't bother to paint them but I think that is a good idea. I wouldn't put any paint on the inside as it may make it hard to fit the new bushings.

The best price I found for the bushings were 30 bucks for a 2 door and 55 for a 4 door.

Quick Reply: Hinge Bushing Replacement